Count ONCE if a unique value exists across one of multiple columns + meets other criteria

robmsmith

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all.

This is my first time posting so bear with me with the explanations. I have included a sample table with data below to illustrate a challenge I have. I want to generate headcount and employee turnover data by management chain. i.e. Everyone who reports up the chain to 'x' executive.

To do this i have an extract from a system like below (I cannot change this unfortunately). There are thousands of rows of data in reality - covering both active and terminated employees.

I have already successfully calculated the total headcount as of the beginning of Q42020.

=COUNTIFS(C2:5000,"<1/1/2021",D2:D5000,""+COUNTIFS(C2:C5000,"<1/10/2021",'D2:D5000,">=1/1/2021")

I now want to use the same or similar logic as above but to count the headcount of all people within an Executive's team. e.g. to count all active employees who ultimately report up to Joe Bloggs at the end of Q4 2020 . There are multiple columns for management chain (I just included three for example here). So I want to be able to make a formula to answer the following:

COUNT WORKER IF JOE BLOGGS APPEARS IN COLUMN E, F OR G, AND THE HIRE DATE IS BEFORE 1/1/2021, AND TERMINATION DATE IS BLANK OR MORE THAN OR EQUAL TO 1/1/2021

Obviously i cannot use COUNTIFS to count if Joe Bloggs appears in column E, F, OR G and I have failed so far to make a SUM PRODUCT or other alternative to achieve this...Can anyone help? It's really bugging me! Many thanks.

Worker (COLUMN A)Employee ID (B)Hire Date (C)Termination Date (D)Management Chain - Level 01 (E)Management Chain - Level 02 (F)Management Chain - Level 03 (G)
James Young1911456967
01/10/2019​
Joe BloggsJoe BloggsJohn Smith
Bill Brian1099809316
01/08/2019​
Andy WhitePeter NorthPhil Gorman
Tom Peak2004458391
08/01/2020​
20/01/2020​
Tim BoothTim BoothJoe Bloggs
Caroline Fell2006461052
29/06/2020​
31/07/2020​
Tom FullersonBrian EastPeter North
Jade Smith1202358187
01/08/2019​
Sarah SmithSarah SmithMartin Jones
Rebecca Marlow2010457287
21/10/2020​
Rebecca SouthTim BoothSarah Smith

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Hi RobMSmith,

I'm a little confused as Tom Peak was terminated Jan 2020 but the described logic doesn't seem to exclude from the headcount?
Should it be Termination Date = blank OR Termination Date > 31 December 2020?

P.S. Can I use a worker column?

Upvote 0
Hi RobMSmith,

I'm a little confused as Tom Peak was terminated Jan 2020 but the described logic doesn't seem to exclude from the headcount?
Should it be Termination Date = blank OR Termination Date > 31 December 2020?

P.S. Can I use a worker column?
Hi there.

Thanks for the clarification.

The worker terminated in Jan 2020 would be excluded from the logic as the formula only picks up those hired before 2021 and with a blank cell in the termination date column (i.e. Meaning they are still active).

I'm not clear on your worker column question but I'm open to any and all suggestions so far. Ideally I don't want to be adding columns to the data source but if there is no other way then of course I will make do.

Thanks again. Rob

Upvote 0
RobMSmith.xlsx
BCDEFGHI
1Employee ID (B)Hire Date (C)Termination Date (D)Management Chain - Level 01 (E)Management Chain - Level 02 (F)Management Chain - Level 03 (G)Joe Bloggs1
2191145696701-Oct-19Joe BloggsJoe BloggsJohn Smith1
3109980931601-Aug-19Andy WhitePeter NorthPhil Gorman0
4200445839108-Jan-2020-Jan-20Tim BoothTim BoothJoe Bloggs0
5200646105229-Jun-2031-Jul-20Tom FullersonBrian EastPeter North0
6120235818701-Aug-19Sarah SmithSarah SmithMartin Jones0
7201045728721-Oct-20Rebecca SouthTim BoothSarah Smith0
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
I1I1=SUM(H2:H5000)
H2:H7H2=IF(AND(C2<DATE(2021,1,1),OR(D2>DATE(2021,1,1),D2=""),NOT(ISNA(MATCH($H$1,$E2:$G2,0)))),1,0)

Upvote 0
Solution
Hi Toadstool. All.

Thanks a lot for this, much appreciated - this certainly gets to the answer via the raw data.

I wonder if on reflection there is a way to get this calc to be done in one cell? Reason being is i will have the headcount for this manager but then subsequently plan to calculate a bunch of other metrics for them - such as the termination rate, number of new starters etc. So a repeatable one cell formula to identify the managers and then be able to add the extra criteria is the best case.

For example I am looking to have the raw data on one sheet and then a separate tab with a table like below with the formulas generating the data in each cell for each senior manager:

Q4 2020
Manager NameHeadcountLeaversStartersetc.
Joe BloggsFORMULA LIKE ABOVE WOULD BE HERE to give that singular numberFormula with different criteria here - but still identifying workers reporting to Joe Bloggs in Management chain etc.
Peter North
Tom Fullerson etc.

Upvote 0
I think you may need a VBA solution.
Personally I'd revisit the data design which duplicates a Manager at different levels.

Upvote 0
Thanks figured as much. Well your help is much appreciated all the same.

It made me consider there's a slightly different way around it (to your point of maybe attacking this by using a helper column in the source data). Is there a formula to search multiple name options and return the one that appears in a cell.

I found a way to extract all names in the management chain for each worker into one single cell.

I wonder if there's a way to to then make a formula to text search for the execs and return the value of the one that appears in the cell.

i.e. Search for Joe Bloggs, Andy White, Tim Booth, Sarah Smith, Rebecca South in column A and return the matching text string to Column B. Then it would give me a single column with the name of each exec in it against the worker, and i could complete the countifs statement from that.

COLUMN A
All Managers in Management Chain
COLUMN B
Return the name if it appears in
Joe Bloggs

Toni Simmons

Henry Mcgregor

Rachel Gascoigne

Emma Hulbert

Chris Stafford

Upvote 0
To clarify the cell in Column A comes out with the names in one single cell and line spaced apart, so some kind of text search or string lookup may be needed. I am looking at those options now.

Upvote 0
To clarify the cell in Column A comes out with the names in one single cell and line spaced apart, so some kind of text search or string lookup may be needed. I am looking at those options now.
Actually think i may have found it - =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Joe Bloggs",A2)),"Joe Bloggs",IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Andy White",A2)),"Andy White",""))

Then can drag down.... Seems to work!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcus05

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back