pyclen

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All,

this is a question for XL2019 (work provided), so some of the fancy wizardry for 365 may not work.

I have two tables, one serves as input, the other is the calculation based on the input. these tables are on separate tabs but for this post I added them on the same

In Field C7 I have the number of samples that are being tested, can be any value from 1 - 10, the table on the right (K5:L10) lists the test and corresponding cost.

In the upper table I have the test being performed (B7-B11) and the timepoints from C6 - I6

In C7:I11 I have the pertinent info as it will inform if the sample is tested at Condition 1 (X), Condition 2 (Y), Condition 3 (Z) at any given time.
For example, Test 1 is performed for Condition 1 & 2 at 1, 2,3, and 6 months, and only at Condition 1 at 0, 9, 12 months.

In the lower table I have the same tests and times as before however here is where the money is calculated.
For times 0, 9 & 12 months, I can calculate the cost. Example C18 =
Excel Formula:
=$C$3*(LEN(C7)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE($C7,"X","")))*IF($C7="","$0",INDEX($L$6:$L$10,MATCH($B$18,$K$6:$K$10,0)))

However when I come to 1, 2, 3 or any timepoint really where I do have multiple conditions I am not able to count the characters, as I do need the Sum of X and Y for the calculation to be correct.
Example:

1Month, Test 1 has both X, Y, i.e., two (2) conditions, therefore the formula to calculate the correct value needs to include that otherwise I get a wrong result.
For this example it should be 2 (samples) * 2 (conditions) * $100 = $400, and not 200
1660586064119.png

I am hoping someone here may have a solution for this issue.

Thank you in advance for any help/guidance

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
What about counting the Commas?
Excel Formula:
=$C$3*(1+LEN(C7)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(C7,",","")))*IF(C7="",0,INDEX($L$6:$L$10,MATCH($B18,$K$6:$K$10,0)))

Upvote 0
What about counting the Commas?
Excel Formula:
=$C$3*(1+LEN(C7)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(C7,",","")))*IF(C7="",0,INDEX($L$6:$L$10,MATCH($B18,$K$6:$K$10,0)))
That is an innovative way of doing it however it may break down if there is no comma entered (like someone forgot)
Thanks for your response

Upvote 0
So go and nest Substitute...
Not SUBSTITUTE(C7,"X","")
but
Excel Formula:
SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(UPPER(C7),"X",""),"Y",""),"Z","")

Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you for the feedback
If that resolve the problem then it'd be better to mark the discussion as Resoved; see the procedure: Mark as Solution

Upvote 0
A little shorter:

Code:
=$C$3*VLOOKUP($B18,$K$6:$L$10,2,0)*COUNT(SEARCH({"X","Y","Z"},C7))

Upvote 0
THank you Phuoc, appreciate the shorter solution

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back