Count unique dates based on criteria from another column.

avengedJC

I have two sheets, one named, "DATA" and another named, "STATS".

I need to enter a formula in a cell in the "STATS" sheet that will count the number of unique dates in column G from the "DATA" sheet but ONLY IF column F contains the text, "JC".

FG
JC22/10/2017
JC22/10/2017
AF22/10/2017
BE17/10/2017
JC15/10/2015
JC14/10/2017
BE14/10/2017
BE12/10/2017
AF22/10/2017

<tbody>
</tbody>

So the formula should have the outcome of showing 3. as there are 3 unique dates that also have "JC" in column F.

Thanks in advance for you help. I have tried other formulas from other posts on this site and others but just can't seem to get to the correct outcome that I want.

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
maybe something like...

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(Data!F1:F9="JC",Data!G1:G9),Data!G1:G9),1)) Control Shift Enter

Upvote 0
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly...

Hmmm... that seems to giving me a value of "1". Not sure why it's not correct, sorry, I do not yet understand complex formulas like this! Could the fact that I have a header on the "DATA" sheet be effecting the result?

Upvote 0
AH! Thanks... sorry the dataset I had was much larger than just the 10 cells so I edited the formula to include the whole column. I'ts no working, thank you so much!

Upvote 0
maybe something like...

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(Data!F1:F9="JC",Data!G1:G9),Data!G1:G9),1)) Control Shift Enter

Sorry, another problem - some of the fields in the date column are left blank... how can I edit this formula so that it doesn't count the blank cells as a unique entry also?

Upvote 0
mmmm, the frequency function ignores blanks by design so it shouldn't be counting the blanks in column G

Upvote 0
mmmm, the frequency function ignores blanks by design so it shouldn't be counting the blanks in column G

Strange. I came to the conclusion that was the issue because when I filled the blank cells it seemingly counts correctly... it counts one less. Therefore I presumed it was counting blanks as a unique value.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure but I'm not able to replicate the issue here...

this is with both an actual blank as well as NULL value...

You can read up on the function here...https://support.office.com/en-us/article/FREQUENCY-function-44e3be2b-eca0-42cd-a3f7-fd9ea898fdb9

Unknown
FGHI
1JC10/22/2017
2JC10/22/2017
3AF10/22/20173
4BE10/17/2017
5JC10/15/2015
6JC10/14/2017
7JC10/14/2017
8JC
9AF10/22/2017
10JC

<tbody>
</tbody>
Data

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
G8=""

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Array Formulas
CellFormula
I3{=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(Data!F1:F10="JC",Data!G1:G10),Data!G1:G10),1))}

<tbody>
</tbody>
Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.
Note: Do not try and enter the {} manually yourself

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danger_SF

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back