COUNTIF based on two criteria--Help

Radsan

I have data in two columns. Column B has calculated string values of "BMAJOR" and "BMINOR" and column C has date values.

I am trying to get a count of how many occurences of "BMAJOR" or "BMINOR" occur for every week starting today. I have column AJ which returns today() and column AK which returns today()+7. I can individually count number of occurences of dates that fall within these dates with the following formula. This for row 2.

=COUNTIF('Decision Tree'!$C$4:$C$215,"<="&AK2)-COUNTIF('Decision Tree'!$C$4:$C$215,"<"&AJ2)

This counts number of dates between two dates computed in columns AJ(today()) & AK(today()+7). I am now trying to count only those dates that fall within the week, which have "BMAJOR" in the corresponding column in the same row.

I tried using an AND statement:

=(COUNTIF(('Decision Tree'!$C$4:$C$215,"<="&AK2)*('Decision Tree'!$B$4:$B$215,"=BMAJOR")))-(COUNTIF(('Decision Tree'!$C$4:$C$215,"<="&AJ2)*('Decision Tree'!$B$4:$B$215,"=BMAJOR")))

I also tried entering it as an array and naming the ranges. But it returns an error every time. Any help will be highly appreciated. Below is a sample data for next week:

So basically for week 17/09/2007 to 24/09/2007 the formula should return values of 4 (BMAJOR) and 4 (BMINOR).

I would be grateful for any help or ideas.

nachiketdp

Board Regular
Make a column for concatenate of bmajor/bminor and the date. now put the criteria as the concatenated value of bmajor/bminor and the date.

HTH,
Regards,
Nachiket Pendharkar

barry houdini

MrExcel MVP
Assuming you want to count for just seven days, i.e. today and the next 6 days

=SUMPRODUCT(--('Decision Tree'!$C$4:$C$215< AK2),--('Decision Tree'!$C$4:$C$215 >=AJ2),--('Decision Tree'!$B$4:$B$215="BMINOR"))

Radsan

Many thanks for your responses.

I tried this one:

=SUMPRODUCT(--('Decision Tree'!$C$4:$C$215< AK2),--('Decision Tree'!$C$4:$C$215 >=AJ2),--('Decision Tree'!$B$4:$B$215="BMINOR"))

But I only get #NA in the computed column. No idea why..

I can concatenate the values, but what criteria? Based on text, right/left formulas?

barry houdini

MrExcel MVP
But I only get #NA in the computed column. No idea why..
This probably means you have #N/A values somewhere in the data in 'Decision Tree'!$B$4:$C$215. If you can eliminate the error values the formula should work

Radsan

This probably means you have #N/A values somewhere in the data in 'Decision Tree'!$B$4:$C$215. If you can eliminate the error values the formula should work
Yes, I have #NA values in some of the rows.

But these are by design and the #NA is meant to be there. Is there a way I can account for these?

So I was mistaken when asking for help. The column can contain 3 values, viz., BMAJOR, BMINOR & #NA. Apologies.

Aladin Akyurek

MrExcel MVP
Yes, I have #NA values in some of the rows.

But these are by design and the #NA is meant to be there. Is there a way I can account for these?

So I was mistaken when asking for help. The column can contain 3 values, viz., BMAJOR, BMINOR & #NA. Apologies.
Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(
     --('Decision Tree'!$C$4:$C$215 >= AJ2),
     --('Decision Tree'!$C$4:$C$215 < AK2),
     --ISNUMBER(MATCH('Decision Tree'!$B$4:$B$215,{"BMINOR"},0)))

Radsan

Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(
     --('Decision Tree'!$C$4:$C$215 >= AJ2),
     --('Decision Tree'!$C$4:$C$215 < AK2),
     --ISNUMBER(MATCH('Decision Tree'!$B$4:$B$215,{"BMINOR"},0)))
Thanks for the code and all the help. I really appreciate it.

But I am still getting #NA in the computed cell. Maybe it will help if I post a sample of the data showing columns/rows containing the #NA cells. I am sure this is because, where column B contains #NA, column C will also inevitably contain #NA as shown below.

I can do some medium level excel stuff, but such code is beyond me. As such, even with the code presented in a platter, I have no idea what it is doing and need to study this a bit more. :D

I will be grateful for any further help.

Aladin Akyurek

MrExcel MVP
Control+shift+enter...

Code:
=SUM(
    IF(ISNUMBER('Decision Tree'!$C$4:$C$215), 
    IF('Decision Tree'!$C$4:$C$215 >= AJ2, 
    IF('Decision Tree'!$C$4:$C$215 < AK2, 
    IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH('Decision Tree'!$B$4:$B$215,{"BMINOR"},0)),
      1)))))

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• Importing multiple excel files into one spreadsheet
    Hi, I'm trying to import multiple excel files (with the same format into a single spreadsheet) so that each day's file is listed underneath the...
  • find many based on a certain criteria
    good evening, I hope someone can help me? I have a workbook sheet 2 contains lots of data.... I would like to be able to find anything on sheet...
  • How to copy multiple rows using If
    Hi all, I'm very new to VBA and have written this simple code to copy certain cells if a certain cell within that row contains any data. I need...
  • VBA If statement
    Dear All, I have two dates, where I'd like a message box to pop, if the dates are between this criteria. [CODE] sDate1 = #10/1/2019#...
  • Text Format
    I have a sheet for user to keyin the data. The format of the data can be 451 / 1903, 0012 / 9908 or 00287 / 0099. The number after the "/" is...
  • Syntax errors
    Good Morning, Trying to compile a workbook, I keep getting a few errors. Here are the first two: [code=rich]Syntax Error: Function...