CountIf in VBA

rrenis

Board Regular
Hi I've got the following in my code to check to see whether a reference exists in a sheet but it's not working. Has anyone got a clue why not? :confused:

If WorksheetFunction.CountIf(Sheets("SUMMARY").Range("H6:H65536"), SetRef) > 0 Then GoTo RefExists Else

SetRef is a string relating to a cell on another sheet and RefExists is a message box telling the user the reference is already included on the summary sheet.

Cheers,
rrenis :biggrin:

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Don't know if it applies here, but I've always used "Application.WorksheetFunction", rather than just "WorksheetFunction."
Wouldn't be that I suppose would it?........

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip sykes - I just tried it with Application.WorksheetFunction and it still doesn't work :(

Upvote 0
OK, when you say it isn't working, exactly what's happening (or not) are you getting an error, or is the code not going to RefExists when you expect it to?

Upvote 0
......... the "else" statement probably needs to be on the next line as well, rather than at the end of the line in question.........

Upvote 0
Hi sykes - it's not going to RefExists, instead it runs the rest of the code which inserts the details for a particular reference :confused:

I was just after something that would stop multiple entries of the same reference and thought this countif method would be straight forward!! :eek:

Cheers,
rrenis

Upvote 0
thanks for the advice on the else placement. I'll move it to the next line.

Cheers,
rrenis

Upvote 0
I know what you mean - you think something's going to be a sinch, and it turns into a marathon - normally because of something silly, miles away you didn't think of!!

..... if moving the "else" didn't work, perhaps we need to ensure a few things are as you think they are:

1. You could use
Code:
msgbox setRef
...immediately before the line in question, to test that SetRef is populated with what you think it should be.
2. Check that the string in SetRef is definitely within
Sheets("SUMMARY").Range("H6:H65536")
(exactly as in SetRef) at least once (otherwise, of course, it won't drive the code to RefExists)
3. Check that RefExists has a colon after it.

............all teaching Granny to suck eggs, I know, but these are some of the mistakes I find myself suffering from...!!

Upvote 0
Thanks sykes - useful tests there which will hopefully highlight the problem! I'll have to try them on monday though as I'm just about to leave the office.

Thanks for your time! :biggrin:

Cheers,
rrenis

Upvote 0
Hi sykes! Thanks for your help last week. You hit the nail on the head with..

you think something's going to be a sinch, and it turns into a marathon - normally because of something silly

In my rush to leave the office I closed excel down without saving (Doh!) - so had to re-enter the code today. And guess what - it works fine!! :oops:

Thanks again for sparing your time to help. If I had a dunce cap handy it would be firmly on my head! :biggrin:

cheers,
rrenis :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back