COUNTIF multiple criteria

dschwister

Hi All-

I am working in two worksheets. Worksheet A is where I am rolling up all of my data and Worksheet B is where I am inputting all of said data. In Worksheet A I am trying to find the number of times "david" appears in range "worksheetB A1:A100" and the number "1" in "worksheetB E1:E100". Both of these instances must occur for me to count. Does this make sense? I thought maybe a vlookup would work but it isn't. I also tried a sumproduct but that didn't work either. Any help would would be greatly appreciated!!!

What I need is for Excel to count the number of times "David" and "1" appear in the same row. David is column A and 1 would appear in column E.

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Which version of Excel are you using?

In Excel 2007 and later you can use COUNTIFS with an "S", i.e.

=COUNTIFS('worksheetB'!A1:A100,"David",'worksheetB'!E1:E100,1)

or SUMPRODUCT in any version, i.e.

=SUMPRODUCT(('worksheetB'!A1:A100="David")*('worksheetB'!E1:E100=1))

Note that 1 wouldn't normally be in quotes unless the data in column E is formatted as text

Upvote 0
Hi Barry,

Thanks for your quick response. I am unfortunately working in Google docs, as I don't have Excel for work. COUNTIFS didn't work (it returned an error message) and SUMPRODUCT although it didn't return an error, I can see that the formula isn't working because it is miscounting.

in column a, i want to count the number of times "david" and "1" appear in a row. so "david" must appear in column A and "1" must appear in column E.

worksheet b
A B C D E
david 83 98 55 1
eric 87 98 55 3
david 83 98 55 3
eric 87 98 55 3
david 85 96 55 1

Upvote 0
SUMPRODUCT works in googledocs but I understand that you can't use it for multi-criteria counting as you want, try using a formula like this

=ArrayFormula(SUM(IF(A1:A100=ʺDavidʺ,IF(E1:E100=1,1))))

You'll need to add in the sheet names......

Upvote 0
Do you know how to have a "-" show up in Googledocs when zero is divided by zero?

SUMPRODUCT works in googledocs but I understand that you can't use it for multi-criteria counting as you want, try using a formula like this

=ArrayFormula(SUM(IF(A1:A100=ʺDavidʺ,IF(E1:E100=1,1))))

You'll need to add in the sheet names......

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
THMarana

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back