COUNTIF picking up data from another tab referenced by a cell

jason7579

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am finding this difficult to explain, hence why I couldn't find my answer online, so please bear with me.

I have a number of tabs in my spreadsheet, call them red, orange, blue, green. I have a summary sheet with the colours in column one and months in B1, C1, D1 etc. I have tried to give an example in the table below.

ColoursJanFeb
Red=COUNTIF('Red'!$G:$G,B$1)
=COUNTIF('Red'!$G:$G,C$1)
Orange=COUNTIF('Orange'!$G:$G,B$1)
=COUNTIF('Orange'!$G:$G,C$1)

I am doing a COUNTIF of column G:G in each tab, and I have the colours listed in column A of my summary tab.
Currently I am creating each formula uniquely on my summary sheet such as the table above, so that I pick up all of the word Jan in column G of the tab Red.
Is it possible to remove the tab name as something I have to change for each row and pick it up from the cell value in column A? e.g. =COUNTIF(A2($G:$G), B$1) - I can't work out how to combine the combination of A2 along with pointing the formula to G:G.

I hope this makes some kind of sense to you?

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
How about
Excel Formula:
=COUNTIF(INDIRECT("'"&$A2&"'!$G:$G"),B$1)
Although this will make the formula slow & volatile.

Upvote 0
Solution
How about
Excel Formula:
=COUNTIF(INDIRECT("'"&$A2&"'!$G:$G"),B$1)
Although this will make the formula slow & volatile.
Thanks - I really thought there would be a simple, robust formula that I am overlooking as it feels like a feature that should be there without any issues. Although it takes a few seconds longer to create additional lines (I'm just using find and replace so it isn't a huge deal) I would rather have speed and something that works each and every time. For now, unless another method is out there, I will continue as is.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Upvote 0
There is, it's what I posted. ;)

:) good point, just gave it a go and with the relatively small dataset I'm using it made no tangible difference to speed and usability. So it's definitely my solution to this problem. Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luca142

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back