countif(s) with 'or' statement

nikegeo

Board Regular
Hi all - im looking to count cells based on multiple criteria and on of the criteria should have an 'or'
I have the following criteria:
I want a count of all cells with country values - Australia, New Zealand, or AUZ if the PitchWL range is "win"

thank!

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.

loonylou

Hi,

You need a dcount formula: =dcounta(list,field name,criteria)

List: entire table of data
Field: heading for the field you will count, i.e. country name
Criteria: separate area in your spreadsheet that you will name "criteria". This area should have the same field headings as your table does for country and PitchWL & will have 3 lines:

Country PitchWL
Australia Win
New Zealand Win
AUZ Win

This is telling excel to count the rows that have Australia and win; or New Zealand and win; or AUZ and win.

Hope this helps!

nikegeo

Board Regular
thanks for the reply, however im trying to avoid having excess lines for the criteria.

I was hoping to accomplish this another way.

Again i have named ranges:

Markets: "Australia", "New Zealand", Or "AUZ"
PitchWL: "Pitch Won"

And count the market or client field range (they will never be empty) if it meets the above criteria

Last edited:

JoeMo

MrExcel MVP
Office Version
365, 2010
Platform
Windows
thanks for the reply, however im trying to avoid having excess lines for the criteria.

I was hoping to accomplish this another way.

Again i have named ranges:

Markets: "Australia", "New Zealand", Or "AUZ"
PitchWL: "Pitch Won"

And count the market or client field range (they will never be empty)
If the named ranges are Markets and PitchWL then try this - confirm with ctrl+shift+enter, not just enter:
Code:
=SUM(IF((markets="australia")+(markets="New Zealand")+(markets="AUZ")*(PitchWL="pitch won"),1,0))

Brian from Maui

MrExcel MVP

ADVERTISEMENT

If you have 2003 or earlier

=SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(MATCH(F1:F10,{"criteria1","criteria2","criteria3"},0))),--(G1:G10="Pitch won"))

If later than 2003, try COUNTIFS

nikegeo

Board Regular
If the named ranges are Markets and PitchWL then try this - confirm with ctrl+shift+enter, not just enter:
Code:
=SUM(IF((markets="australia")+(markets="New Zealand")+(markets="AUZ")*(PitchWL="pitch won"),1,0))
This counted all values for Australia + New Zealand + AUZ regardless of PitchWL="Pitch Won"

JoeMo

MrExcel MVP
Office Version
365, 2010
Platform
Windows
This counted all values for Australia + New Zealand + AUZ regardless of PitchWL="Pitch Won"
Apologies, forgot a pair of parentheses. Try this (remember to confirm with ctrl+shift+enter):
Code:
=SUM(IF(((markets="australia")+(markets="New Zealand")+(markets="AUZ"))*(PitchWL="pitch won"),1,0))

nikegeo

Board Regular
JoeMo - thanks so much! the extra paranthesis worked. I was looking all over the place for a solution!

Im going to have to get my head around arrays.

thanks again

Subscribe on YouTube

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sidneybc

This Week's Hot Topics

• Turn fraction around
    Hello I need to turn a fraction around, for example I have 1/3 but I need to present as 3/1
  • TIme Clock record reformatting to ???
    Hello All, I'd like some help formatting this (Tbl-A)(Loaded via Power Query) [ATTACH type="full" width="511px" alt="PQdata.png"]22252[/ATTACH]...
  • TextBox Match
    hi, I am having a few issues with my code below, what I need it to do is when they enter a value in textbox8 (QTY) either 1,2 or 3 the 3 textboxes...
  • Using Large function based on Multiple Criteria
    Hello, I can't seem to get a Large formula to work based on two criteria's. I can easily get a oldest value based one value, but I'm struggling...
  • Can you check my code please
    Hi, Im going round in circles with a Compil Error End With Without With Here is the code [CODE=rich] Private Sub...
  • Combining 2 pivot tables into 1 chart
    Hello everyone, My question sounds simple but I do not know the answer. I have 2 pivot tables and 2 charts that go with this. However I want to...