countif(s) with 'or' statement

nikegeo

Board Regular
Hi all - im looking to count cells based on multiple criteria and on of the criteria should have an 'or'
I have the following criteria:
I want a count of all cells with country values - Australia, New Zealand, or AUZ if the PitchWL range is "win"

thank!

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Hi,

You need a dcount formula: =dcounta(list,field name,criteria)

List: entire table of data
Field: heading for the field you will count, i.e. country name
Criteria: separate area in your spreadsheet that you will name "criteria". This area should have the same field headings as your table does for country and PitchWL & will have 3 lines:

Country PitchWL
Australia Win
New Zealand Win
AUZ Win

This is telling excel to count the rows that have Australia and win; or New Zealand and win; or AUZ and win.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
thanks for the reply, however im trying to avoid having excess lines for the criteria.

I was hoping to accomplish this another way.

Again i have named ranges:

Markets: "Australia", "New Zealand", Or "AUZ"
PitchWL: "Pitch Won"

And count the market or client field range (they will never be empty) if it meets the above criteria

Last edited:
Upvote 0
thanks for the reply, however im trying to avoid having excess lines for the criteria.

I was hoping to accomplish this another way.

Again i have named ranges:

Markets: "Australia", "New Zealand", Or "AUZ"
PitchWL: "Pitch Won"

And count the market or client field range (they will never be empty)
If the named ranges are Markets and PitchWL then try this - confirm with ctrl+shift+enter, not just enter:
Code:
=SUM(IF((markets="australia")+(markets="New Zealand")+(markets="AUZ")*(PitchWL="pitch won"),1,0))

Upvote 0
If you have 2003 or earlier

=SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(MATCH(F1:F10,{"criteria1","criteria2","criteria3"},0))),--(G1:G10="Pitch won"))

If later than 2003, try COUNTIFS

Upvote 0
If the named ranges are Markets and PitchWL then try this - confirm with ctrl+shift+enter, not just enter:
Code:
=SUM(IF((markets="australia")+(markets="New Zealand")+(markets="AUZ")*(PitchWL="pitch won"),1,0))

This counted all values for Australia + New Zealand + AUZ regardless of PitchWL="Pitch Won"

Upvote 0
This counted all values for Australia + New Zealand + AUZ regardless of PitchWL="Pitch Won"
Apologies, forgot a pair of parentheses. Try this (remember to confirm with ctrl+shift+enter):
Code:
=SUM(IF(((markets="australia")+(markets="New Zealand")+(markets="AUZ"))*(PitchWL="pitch won"),1,0))

Upvote 0
JoeMo - thanks so much! the extra paranthesis worked. I was looking all over the place for a solution!

Im going to have to get my head around arrays.

thanks again

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ajax40

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back