Countif- Visible Cells in Filter mode

aabbasi

Board Regular
Hi:

Could someone please let me know the solution for the following problem:

I have values in cell B2:B50 with values such as Quality, Eng, Purchasing etc. When i go in Auto filter based on Coulmn A2:A50 (with July only) and count "Quality" manually under B2:B50, the answer is 26. But if I write formula Countif(B2:B50, "Quality") I get answer 41.

Is there a way to use Countif function, if I am in the Autofilter mode so as it counts only that rows which are visible under Autofilter and not ALL rows.

Thank you :(

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Hi guys,

This problem is very interesting and I think I understand the solution for counting filtered data in a single column. I wonder can this solution be extended to counting data in multiple columns?

I have a data set that can be potentially be 13 columns wide and several thousand rows depending on the range of the date period I am looking at.

The data is a list of policy numbers and whether that policy had a 'referral code' associated with it or not. There are up to 100 different referral codes which are basically just different 5 digit numbers with each code having an explanation behind it (e.g. code 12345 means 'Driver with previous convictions' for example).

A policy can have either no referral code or potentially up to 13 referral codes depending on the situation. Each policy number is listed on one row with referral codes separated into different columns. Each of the 'referral' columns can contain any one of the 100 different referral rules. I can find the count of each referral code in the data set easily but would like the calculations to update when I change the filter on my date range. See image attached which should make more sense, I've simplified the data to 7 referral columns.

Would anyone have an idea how to tackle the added complication of multiple columns when the data is filtered?

For the unfiltered data I've listed all 100 referral codes in one column and used =COUNTIF(alldata,referral code) which works fine. I tried the below formula to extend the current formula given previously to include the columns in the offset function but that was more of an educated guess. This formula is based on the 'referral' 1 to 7 columns going from C to I and rows from C2 to C344. The last part of the formula $C$2:$I$344=B347 is comparing one of the referral codes which is in cell B347 to see if it is in the unfiltered range.

=SUMPRODUCT(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET($C$2:$C$344,ROW($C$2:$C$344)-MIN(ROW($C$2:$C$344)),COLUMN($C$1:$I$1)-1,1))*($C$2:$I$344=B347))

Any help would be appreciated.

Capture.PNG

Upvote 0
Thank you @Aladin Akyurek for your fantastic formula which would have helped thousands of people including me.

However, my current requirement is to achieve the same, provided my data is not limited to one column but is spread across multiple columns (very similar to what @denzo36 mentioned in his post above). @Aladin Akyurek would you be able to help me here please? Hope you are still active on this forum (fingers crossed)!

This is my sample table wherein I want to count working days (or leave days) for each team in a week/month/quarter.

JanJanJanJanJanJanJan
Emp IDNameTeam25272728293031
1110Name 1Team 1WWWWWSS
1111Name 2Team 1WLWLWSS
1112Name 3Team 2WWWWWSS
1113Name 4Team 2WWWLWSS
1114Name 5Team 2LLWWWSS
1115Name 6Team 3WWWWWSS
1116Name 7Team 3WWLWWSS

Upvote 0
It's SUBTOTAL that is sensitive to visible cells. The function num 3 (i.e., COUNTA) yields 1 if any data in a given visible cell, otherwise 0 along with all non-visible cells.

Suppose we have it for a shorter range:

=SUMPRODUCT(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(B2:B7,ROW(B2:B7)-MIN(ROW(B2:B7)),,1))*(B2:B7="Quality"))

Evaluationg just the row bit we get:

SUMPRODUCT(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(B2:B7,{0;1;2;3;4;5},,1))*(B2:B7="Quality"))

SubTOTAL gets applied successively on

OFFSET(B2,0,,1)
OFFSET(B2,1,,1)
OFFSET(B2,2,,1)

and so on... leading to something like:

SUMPRODUCT({0;0;1;0;0;1}*(B2:B7="Quality"))

Cells with 1 do house data. If the data housed in the corresponding range is equal to "Quality", that cell is counting in.
Aladin Sahab, it is an awesome solution just like some mathematical derivation......Sir, I only would like to know one thing why you used B2:B7 in offset reference as when I applied your formula while only taking B2 in offset reference portion, it is still working. Would you be so kind to let me know the reason for the same.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hello, I have this worksheet which I used this amazing formula above, but I have an additional question.
When I filter between different groups the number stays the same all the way down? It’s there a way the numbers can reflect the groups you select in their specific row?

Attachments

• 2B0924E6-E1AB-4078-8F16-8D91A79D6818.jpeg
    2B0924E6-E1AB-4078-8F16-8D91A79D6818.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 06FA2F64-74E3-4A52-9E03-54C58626300C.jpeg
    06FA2F64-74E3-4A52-9E03-54C58626300C.jpeg
    32.2 KB · Views: 14
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back