Countif- Visible Cells in Filter mode

aabbasi

Board Regular
Hi:

Could someone please let me know the solution for the following problem:

I have values in cell B2:B50 with values such as Quality, Eng, Purchasing etc. When i go in Auto filter based on Coulmn A2:A50 (with July only) and count "Quality" manually under B2:B50, the answer is 26. But if I write formula Countif(B2:B50, "Quality") I get answer 41.

Is there a way to use Countif function, if I am in the Autofilter mode so as it counts only that rows which are visible under Autofilter and not ALL rows.

Thank you :(

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
No. of Filtered Records: =SUBTOTAL(3,$B$2:$B$50)
No. of Total Records: =COUNTA($B$2:$B$50)

Something more exotic (recently seen on the Net – original author not recorded):

Code:
=IF(SUBTOTAL(3,B2:B50)<COUNTA(B2:B50), "Filtered -- " &SUBTOTAL(3,B2:B50)& " of " &COUNTA(B2:B50)&" records","")
Produces:
Filtered -- 4 of 15 records
(or whatever)

HTH

Mike

Upvote 0
Thank you for your response.

However, I like to Subtotal based on "Criteria". My criteria is to subtotal all records that have value "Quality" with Auto Filter on.

Your formula does not puts Criteria in equation. Any way appreciate your help :)

Upvote 0
However, I like to Subtotal based on "Criteria". My criteria is to subtotal all records that have value "Quality" with Auto Filter on.
See the simulation.
Filter - totals and count of filtered records.xls
ABCD
1Data1Data2Data3Data4
2A735672201
3B226111473
4A73457209
5A92257632
6C130500976
7B401278790
8B76982519
9A854106491
10C584697111
11C509343963
12D991652863
13D115253121
14A50562940
15B447828568
Sheet1

Using autofilter - If I filter on B, the first formula will show 4. If filtered on C, the formula will show 3 etc. The formula will count the visible rows. You don't need to have the criteria as part of the formula.

Regards,

Mike

Upvote 0
Mike and Aladin:

Thank you both of you for a wonderful solution. It works for me.

Have a wonderful day!

best regards,
Abbasi :)

Upvote 0
Dear Aladin,

Amazing!

Can you walk me through the logic of how this formula is working?

In particularly, how is the SUBTOTAL and OFFSET constructed finding only the Visible Rows?

Upvote 0
Dear Aladin,

Amazing!

Can you walk me through the logic of how this formula is working?

In particularly, how is the SUBTOTAL and OFFSET constructed finding only the Visible Rows?

It's SUBTOTAL that is sensitive to visible cells. The function num 3 (i.e., COUNTA) yields 1 if any data in a given visible cell, otherwise 0 along with all non-visible cells.

Suppose we have it for a shorter range:

=SUMPRODUCT(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(B2:B7,ROW(B2:B7)-MIN(ROW(B2:B7)),,1))*(B2:B7="Quality"))

Evaluationg just the row bit we get:

SUMPRODUCT(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(B2:B7,{0;1;2;3;4;5},,1))*(B2:B7="Quality"))

SubTOTAL gets applied successively on

OFFSET(B2,0,,1)
OFFSET(B2,1,,1)
OFFSET(B2,2,,1)

and so on... leading to something like:

SUMPRODUCT({0;0;1;0;0;1}*(B2:B7="Quality"))

Cells with 1 do house data. If the data housed in the corresponding range is equal to "Quality", that cell is counting in.

Upvote 0
Dear Aladin,

Thanks for posting an answer 5 years after the last post!

OK, So SUBTOTAL is the function that is sensitive to visible cells. But why the 3 instead of the 103 for the first argument of SUBTOTAL? I thought that the 3 “includes hidden values” (not visible values) and 103 “ignores hidden values”. Or is there a difference between what Excel thinks of as hidden and visible? I just did a test and it appears that this is the case: hidden is when you hide a row or column, visible is when you filter.

So is it true that SUBTOTAL with a 3 as the first argument and SUBTOTAL with a 103 as the first argument will do the same thing when the table is filtered and some values are not “visible”? But they will calculate different results when rows are hidden?

Upvote 0
3 and 103 operate similarly for the autofiltered lists/ranges. The latter works additionally with rows which are manually hidden.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BatCoder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back