COUNTIFS Calculating Incorrectly

wdgor

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
This is driving me crazy, i.e. why doesn't it work?

The expression below evaluates to 0 even though there are values in D5 and D9. I expected the result of this expression to be 2.

="All Project Count - "&COUNTIFS('New Deal Worksheet'!D5,">0",'New Deal Worksheet'!D9,">0",'New Deal Worksheet'!D13,">0",'New Deal Worksheet'!D17,">0",'New Deal Worksheet'!D21,">0",'New Deal Worksheet'!D25,">0",'New Deal Worksheet'!D29,">0",'New Deal Worksheet'!D33,">0",'New Deal Worksheet'!D37,">0",'New Deal Worksheet'!D41,">0",'New Deal Worksheet'!D45,">0",'New Deal Worksheet'!D49,">0",'New Deal Worksheet'!D53,">0",'New Deal Worksheet'!D57,">0",'New Deal Worksheet'!D61,">0",'New Deal Worksheet'!D65,">0",'New Deal Worksheet'!D69,">0",'New Deal Worksheet'!D73,">0",'New Deal Worksheet'!D77,">0",'New Deal Worksheet'!D81,">0")

If I use =COUNTIFS('New Deal Worksheet'!D5,">0") it correctly evaluates to 1.
But if I use =COUNTIFS('New Deal Worksheet'!D5,">0",'New Deal Worksheet'!D9,">0"), it also evaluates to 1 when it should be 2. ?????????????? Thanks for any insight.

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
That will only ever return 1 or 0 as the arguments in a countifs are treated as AND rather than OR.
How about
Excel Formula:
=SUMPRODUCT(('New Deal Worksheet'!D5:D81>0)*(MOD('New Deal Worksheet'!D5:D81,4)=1))

Upvote 0
I didn't know that COUNTIFS evaluated as an AND condition. I always thought that it would evaluate each expression on its own, i.e. if the first expression is > 0 it would evaluate it alone then the next expression. I learned something today - thank you!

The sumproduct formula you suggested evaluated to 1 and not 2. Also, each one of the elements in the expression I used is based on a specific employee type in the sheet, i.e. D5 is Implementations, D6 is QA, D7 is TPM and D8 is PM (see below). So, I cannot evaluate the entire range. I was trying for a formula that would evaluate each type and gave only one type in the original example. See table below. This repeats for every project and there can be 50 or more projects. I essentially want a count of how many projects are active. In order for a project to be active, it needs a start date.

RoleStart Date
Implementation Engineer 3/2/2022 This is D5
QA Team4/2/2022
TPM3/6/2022
PM3/2/2022
Implementation Engineer 5/3/2022 This is D9
QA Team6/2/2022
TPM3/3/2022
PM4/3/2022
Implementation Engineer This is D13
QA Team
TPM
PM

Upvote 0
Oops, it should have been
Excel Formula:
=SUMPRODUCT((D5:D81>0)*(MOD(ROW(D5:D81),4)=1))
or another way
Excel Formula:
=SUMPRODUCT((D5:D81>0)*(C5:C81="Implementation Engineer"))

Upvote 0
Solution
PERFECT!! That solved the problem. Thanks a lot. I learn something new each day - its great to have Excel wizards who are willing to help.

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0
Just for grins, I also tried this (this was just a play range):

=COUNTIFS((H3,H4,H7,H9,H12,H14,H17),">0")

Funny how assumptions you always had in your head don't pan out in reality. Thanks again for your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back