COUNTIFS in DAX using FILTER to match dates... not working because of date formatting?

jbaich

Board Regular
Hi all, I'm trying to do a COUNTIFS type of thing with DAX via a calculated column... I'm still very, very new at this (DAX), but seems like it should be easy enough... I've tried all the different examples I've found on the internet, but no luck so far...

One of the criteria I'm trying to match is a date and it keeps throwing me errors... I've made sure that my date columns in my Data Model Tables are both formatted the same... the tables have a relationship. When I try the formulas with one criteria at a time, i get a proper count on the non-date criteria, but never with the date criteria...

The ultimate goal is something like this I think...
Code:
=CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(FILTER(ALL(rsexport),rsexport[Panel Code]=[Panel Code] && rsexport[Panel Date]=[Date] )))

This part works:
Code:
=CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(FILTER(ALL(rsexport),rsexport[Panel Code]=[Panel Code])))

This part doesn't even by itself:
Code:
=CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(FILTER(ALL(rsexport),rsexport[Panel Date]=[Date])))

So unless i have other errors in the formula above, I'm thinking i must be doing something wrong with my dates or their formats to prevent finding any matches? Dates in both tables are formatted as dd-MMM-yy

any suggestions what i might be doing wrong?

Here is a link to some sample data in Dropbox... https://www.dropbox.com/s/gow62f0t1bb6sgr/countifs.xlsx?dl=0

I've included the countifs results in the excel table so that A) my pivot table kind of works... and B) I can see them in the data model and would be able to tell if i was getting the right results.

The goal is to get the count into a calculated column or measure so that i can use slicers and have the count be dynamic...

As always, any help is very much appreciated!

Thanks

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
In table PanelDates field Date contains duplicate values

You should create a new column, you can call it PanelCode_Date as PanelCode_Date = [Panel Code] & [Date]

Upvote 0
so you're saying i should make a helper column that concatenates panel code and date, but then can i refer to that new value in my count formula or do i need the same helper column in my other table?

This doesn't work, but something like this for example?
Code:
=CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(FILTER(ALL(rsexport),[B]CONCATENATE(rsexport[Panel Code],rsexport[Panel Date])=[PanelCode_Date][/B])))
where [PanelCode_Date] is my new helper value?

Thanks

Upvote 0
hmmm... even after making the helper column PanelCode_Date in both tables, I'm still not able to get the right result from the countrows function...

Code:
=CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(FILTER(rsexport,rsexport[PanelCode_Date]=[PanelCode_Date])))
Shouldn't this be doing the trick?

erKj1kP.png
[/IMG]

Thanks

Upvote 0
I did not watch much, but in the fact table you have plenty of empty fields for Panel Code and Panel Date

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back