COUNTIFS Is Not Blank not Working with Query Data Pull

cp5545

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hey everyone. New to this particular board, but hoping to get help.

I am trying to run a COUNTIFS statement that I've used for years. There is a particular column that if blank, I want to ignore it in the COUNTIFS statement which is one of the range/criteria entries as:

Excel Formula:
'AZURE PowerBI Support Team RPT'!$B:$B,"<>")

That works fine if I have a sheet that has data copy/pasted in it. But using Excel data source query against an azure sas blob URL I generated, it isn't able to figure out what is blank and what isn't using that same formula. But if I go into the sheet that the query injects into and drop down the filter for that column.. the option "blank" is there and I can filter it down.

So to summarize... using the "<>" to check against a field (if it's blank) in a COUNTIFS doesn't seem to work if the data is coming from a query.

To compensate, I used the advanced query editor and added a conditional column that uses ISBLANK logic and then populates a value that I can use in my COUNTIFS. But I was curious if anyone else has run into this or not.

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Hi cp5545,

Have you tried using the AGGREGATE function to perform the task? Really powerful formula that will skip blanks/errors/etc.

Upvote 0
Welcome to Mr Excel forum

Just out of curiosity, see if this works...
=COUNTIF($B:$B, "><" )

M.

Upvote 0
Solution
Hi cp5545,

Have you tried using the AGGREGATE function to perform the task? Really powerful formula that will skip blanks/errors/etc.
Thanks for the quick reply. Given the multi-conditional check I don't believe AGGREGATE works. Admittedly I haven't tried re-writing the rows to account for it, but this is what the full COUNTIFS formula looks like (using my conditional column from the query editor):

Excel Formula:
=COUNTIFS('AZURE PowerBI Support Team RPT'!$N:$N,">="&'Flow Management Analysis'!HA$1,'AZURE PowerBI Support Team RPT'!$N:$N,"<"&SUM('Flow Management Analysis'!HA$1+1),'AZURE PowerBI Support Team RPT'!$I:$I,"*Closed*",'AZURE PowerBI Support Team RPT'!$S:$S,"<>UNASSIGNED")

It is essentially performing the following:

• Is the date applicable to the data set within that column's designated date range
  • Is in a status of closed (multiple closed options)
  • Assigned to isn't blank (which in this case, looks to that conditional column that shows "UNASSIGNED" if the script determines it's blank)
I wasn't able to discern a way that AGGREGATE could do those conditional checks. If I am wrong there please let me know, I'll dive deeper if so :)

Upvote 0
Welcome to Mr Excel forum

Just out of curiosity, see if this works...
=COUNTIF($B:$B, "><" )

M.
Oh wow. That worked. Never even thought of that. What exactly is that doing versus the "not equal to" that I was trying?

Upvote 0
Oh wow. That worked. Never even thought of that. What exactly is that doing versus the "not equal to" that I was trying?

I know this is weird! Don't ask me why it works with >< ?

I do not know why (???) :unsure:

M.

Upvote 0
I know this is weird! Don't ask me why it works with >< ?

I do not know why (???) :unsure:

M.
Yeah really odd. <> works with raw data in a sheet that I compare against. >< doesn't work when I tested it with raw copy/paste into a sheet (removing the query). But when I load data through the query it inverses and <> fails while >< works. I'll be adding that to my list of crazy workarounds.

Really appreciate it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back