Counting a sign up list & if paid

SorenN

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi Everybody!
I have a list of names for an event people need to sign up & pay for. In an Ideal world, I would like excel to count if somebody is on the list, and also if they have paid. Right now I'm sorting this by text color and manually counting. I'm not sure if I need to create Macro (which I know only a little about) or if there is a way to have Excel count based on cell formatting. I am open to new ideas and suggestions! Also if I am asking for too much, I can settle partial or simpler results.
Thanks in advance for your help!
-Soren

In table green means they paid, red they still owe and black is I think they are coming.
If I change Nico's name to red, what do I need to do to have the Total owed increase (by $15)? Or if I change Dante to green how can I have both Total Paid and Total Owed increase?
Total PaidRobert
Nico
$45Soren
Dante
Total owedLeslie
Elora
$75Laura
Ian

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
If you have your data as follows.
We can use a macro to add the totals.

<table border="1" cellspacing="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td > </td><td >A</td><td >B</td><td >C</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >1</td><td style="background-color:#ffff00; font-weight:bold; text-align:center; ">TOTALS</td><td style="background-color:#ffff00; font-weight:bold; text-align:center; ">NAMES</td><td style="background-color:#ffff00; font-weight:bold; text-align:center; ">NAMES</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >2</td><td >Total Paid</td><td style="color:#00ff00; ">Robert</td><td >Nico</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >3</td><td style="text-align:right; ">$45</td><td style="color:#00ff00; ">Soren</td><td >Dante</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >4</td><td >Total owed</td><td style="color:#00ff00; ">Leslie</td><td >Elora</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >5</td><td style="text-align:right; ">$75</td><td style="color:#ff0000; ">Laura</td><td style="color:#ff0000; ">Ian</td></tr></table>

Put the following code in the events of your sheet.

Change the data in red for your information, but before making changes, try the macro with the example that I am sending you.

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
    Dim r As Range, c As Range
    Set r = Range("[COLOR=#ff0000]B2:C2[/COLOR]", Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)) 'Cells with names
    Range("[COLOR=#ff0000]A3[/COLOR]").Value = 0   'cell total paid
    Range("[COLOR=#ff0000]A5[/COLOR]").Value = 0   'cell total owed
    For Each c In r
        Select Case c.Font.ColorIndex
            Case 4  'verde
                Range("[COLOR=#ff0000]A3[/COLOR]").Value = Range("[COLOR=#ff0000]A3[/COLOR]").Value + 15
            Case 3  'rojo
                Range("[COLOR=#ff0000]A5[/COLOR]").Value = Range("[COLOR=#ff0000]A5[/COLOR]").Value + 15
            Case 1  'negro
                Range("[COLOR=#ff0000]A5[/COLOR]").Value = Range("[COLOR=#ff0000]A5[/COLOR]").Value + 15
        End Select
    Next
End Sub

SHEET EVENT
Right click the tab of the sheet you want this to work, select view code and paste the code into the window that opens up.

---
Note:
Changing the color of the letter of a cell does not activate any event on the sheet. Therefore, after changing a color, you must select any cell and the macro will be executed, recalculating the totals.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help Dante.
I followed your advice and tried it with the sample provided. This seems to be close, although it doesn't seem to work for all the cells.
For example I tried changing 'Laura' from red to green and total paid went up, total owed stayed the same. Also, when I changed Dante from black to red no values changed.
What do we try next, or am I asking for too much?
-Soren

Upvote 0
The green color should be standard green, like red and black.

Do the following
select a cell with the green text and execute this macro:

Code:
Sub tes()
    MsgBox Selection.Font.ColorIndex
End Sub

The number in the message you put in this line
Code:
Case 4  'verde

Repeat the same for red and black colors

Upvote 0
Thanks for that tip Dante.
I put the number from the macro in
Code:
case 4
and it doesn't seem to be working for the total paid. Out of curiosity I tried putting that font color index number in
Code:
case 1
and it would change the total owed. It seems I am using the same color for my font as is listed in the code. I am not sure why it is not changing the total paid.
Here is what I have:
Code:
    Set r = Range("B2:C2", Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)) 'Cells with names
    Range("A3").Value = 0   'cell total paid
    Range("A5").Value = 0   'cell total owed
    For Each c In r
            Case 4  '14
                Range("A3").Value = Range("A3").Value + 15
            Case 3  '3
                Range("A5").Value = Range("A5").Value + 15
            Case 1  '1
        End Select
    Next
End Sub
Can you think of something else I can try?

Upvote 0
Thanks for that tip Dante.
I put the number from the macro in
Code:
case 4
and it doesn't seem to be working for the total paid. Out of curiosity I tried putting that font color index number in
Code:
case 1
and it would change the total owed. It seems I am using the same color for my font as is listed in the code. I am not sure why it is not changing the total paid.
Here is what I have:
Code:
    Set r = Range("B2:C2", Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)) 'Cells with names
    Range("A3").Value = 0   'cell total paid
    Range("A5").Value = 0   'cell total owed
    For Each c In r
            Case 4  '14
                Range("A3").Value = Range("A3").Value + 15
            Case 3  '3
            Case 1  '1
        End Select
    Next
End Sub
Can you think of something else I can try?

total paid color green sum in A3
total owed color red and black sum in A5, is that correct?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back