Counting based on other criteria - COUNTIFS maybe?

mattyn

Board Regular
Good Morning All

I have inherited a huge spreadsheet of one worksheet (called ManningPlot) detailing the manpower situation across a number of departments across the business. This spreadsheet has one row per person and details a lot of info regarding that person and his/her position. There are in excess of 2000 rows (hence over 2000 manpower positions).

Col A details the department name that the person works in. A total of 66 different departments. Dept1, Dept2, Dept 3 etc
Col B details the name of the person. Where there is no incumbent in that position, it is blank.

For info, and stuff I do not need to manipulate yet, - Col C to I detail more information pertaining to that person (gender, employee number etc). Col J to L are hidden and not needed yet. Col M and N detail information to the position the incumbent fills (M is position name, N is position number).

Col P details the effect of any medical limitations that person maybe suffering with and is scaled 0 (No effect), 1 (minimal effect), 2 (Moderate effect) and 3 (severe effect).

Col Q details whether the person is away (possibly on leave, course etc) and is detailed Yes or No.

Col R details the effect of that position not being filled and is scaled 0 (No effect), 1 (minimal effect), 2 (Moderate effect) and 3 (severe effect).

Col S details the extraneous duty that person is charged with.

What I want to do:

On a separate worksheet (Sheet 2), I want an abridged version I can present the main data along the lines of one row per dept as follows:

Col A to detail the Dept Name - done.
Col B to detail the number of positions allocated to that dept. (a count of Col A on the previous sheet). I have used =countif('manningplot'!A2:A2500,"Dept1") -seems to work!

Col C to detail the number of persons allocated to that dept. I want to ignore where positions are not filled. (A count of Col B on the previous sheet). So a count of names in ManningPlot Col B where ManningPlot Col A = Dept1.

Col D to detail the number of people away on courses within that dept.( A count of ManningPlot Col Q = Yes where ManningPlot ColA = Dept1).

Col E,F & G to detail the number of medical limitation effects ( i.e. number of minimal, moderate and severe) per department.
Col H, I & J to detail the number of gapping effects ( i.e. number of minimal, moderate and severe) per department.

Hope this makes sense - I see the function Countifs and Sumifs but does seem I am getting confused. Please help.

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Hey,

SUMPRODUCT should work pretty well for this type of problem.

Assuming you are using the second row in Sheet2 - then try:

C2:
Code:
SUMPRODUCT((manningplot!$A$2:$A$2500="Dept1")*(manningplot!$B$2:$B$2500<>""))

D2:
Code:
SUMPRODUCT((manningplot!$Q$2:$Q$2500="Yes")*(manningplot!$A$2:$A$2500="Dept1"))

E2 (drag across to G2)
Code:
SUMPRODUCT((manningplot!$P$2:$P$2500=COLUMN()-4)*(manningplot!$A$2:$A$2500="Dept1"))

H2 (Drag across to J2)
Code:
SUMPRODUCT((manningplot!$R$2:$R$2500=COLUMN()-7)*(manningplot!$A$2:$A$2500="Dept1"))

Instead of using "Dept1" you could use cell A2 in Sheet2 to make it more dynamic as well.

EDIT: Added absolute references incase formulas are dragged down Sheet2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennimack

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back