Counting blank cells in row before previous date occurred using index-match.

bquinliv3

Hey guys, I'm working on an NBA spreadsheet involving some various index-match formulas where a reference is being made for a team from the main page to match up with a date (y-axis - current date is always column E) and team (x-axis - varies based on the team the player is on).

Basically what I am trying to do is match a player's team row with the current date's NBA schedule (shown in bold and will always be in Column E), and then count how many days a player did not have a game before the one they currently have scheduled. In other words, how many days of rest (or days off) a player had prior to today.

So what I want to do is count the amount of blanks to the left a team's row has before the next non-blank cell occurs.

Here is the schedule tab
, and what I'd like to do is use the index-match formula which I have here in my data tab to count the amount of blanks on the respective value tab before a non-blank value occurs on its left.

For example, the row for "(atl)" in my example, would register "1" blank before the next non-blank, while the row for "(cha)" would register a "0" because the team had played the day prior. Really all I'd like to do is embed a "count how many blank cells before the previous non-blank cell occured" formula into the data formula I've screenshotted: =IFERROR(INDEX(Schedule!$E:$E,MATCH(RIGHT(D3,5),Schedule!A:A,0)),"")

Hopefully I've given enough explanation and that one of you may have a solution for me, as I've spent hours googling and looking for similar examples without any luck! I really appreciate it, Mr. Excel!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back