Counting cells for each supplier

tomvangelder12

Dear all,

I'm working on a data set which consists of suppliers, the differentproduct they sell and the amount of money corresponding to each productgroup.
My goal:
Count the amount of different productgroups each supplier has.

In Column A you can find both the suppliers and productgroups. Bold is the supplier, not bold are the product groups.
In column B you can find the amount of money a supplier has supplied, and the amount of money each productgroup consists of. the sum of the productgroups, below 1 supplier, is equal to the amount of money corresponding to the supplier.
column C should show the amount of productgroups next to each supplier.

The full data set consists of about 3000 cells, which makes me want to automate this.

Im looking for a formule which I could place in cell C3 and then pull down all the way to the end showing the amount of productgroups next to each supplier
The amount of productgroups corresponding to the suppliers is completely random and can vary between 1 to approximately 500.

Thanks for the help already!

How it should look:

Supplier 1 € 588,291
Snacks € 588,29
Supplier 2 € 96,522
Sodas € 74,80
Tea € 21,72
Supplier 3 € 561,945
Cleaning stuff € 309,63
Cooling components € 189,14
Kitched stuff € 51,45
Office supplies € 8,77
Office supplies 2 € 2,95

<colgroup><col><col span="2"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
tomvangelder12,

Unless you have some means of differentiating between Supplier and Product in column A other than Supplier being bold then you are going to struggle to do this with formula.

I can give you a simple bit of vba that will do the job based on Supplier being bold if you are ok to use vba?

If you have a full list of suppliers that could be used to verify by way of a lookup that text in A is a a supplier then you could use formulas.?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies.
The data is generated from a pivot table. This means I could also make a list of all the suppliers.

The original data consists of each product bought from a supplier as a total. So for example all the COCA-COLA cans bought from COCA COLA Enterprises Netherlands is filling 1 row.

As an example coca cola cans(the data is fiction)

article nrIVPVPsizeUnitArticle descriptionproduct group nr.product groupsupplierEAN CEEAN HEamount
( colli/kg )
revenue
( euro )
111111124BL33,000CLCOCA-COLA REGULAR, BLIK121Soft drinksCOCA COLA ENTERPRISES NED BV10 000100 000

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
tomvangelder12,

Unless you have some means of differentiating between Supplier and Product in column A other than Supplier being bold then you are going to struggle to do this with formula.

I can give you a simple bit of vba that will do the job based on Supplier being bold if you are ok to use vba?

If you have a full list of suppliers that could be used to verify by way of a lookup that text in A is a a supplier then you could use formulas.?

Hey Snakehips, could u assist with the formula? I do have a full list of suppliers that could be used as a lookup text.

Upvote 0
Can you not use a pivot table to do the counting?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rkmenon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back