Counting multiple words in cell

trumi

Office Version
  1. 365
Hi, I'm trying to count multiple occurrences of words in a cell.
Essentially, I would like to count the occurrence of the following words: apple, orange, banana, strawberry
so that for the data in the below table I get the following values

DataCount of words
apple, orange, tree, butter2
banana, orange, strawberry 3
motorcycle, dog0
cat, apple, 1
grass, banana, orange2

I first thought this was a job for the
Excel Formula:
COUNTIFS
function, with something like
Excel Formula:
=COUNTIFS(A2,"*apple*",A2,"*orange*",A2,"*strawberry*",A2,"*banana*")
, but unfortunately, it seems it only counts cells, not occurrences of words within cells.
I would like to count all of the words in my list, not just whether or not any of the words appears in the cell.
Any idea how to accomplish this?

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
if it is just those specific 4 words you're looking for you could use find something like:
=if(isnumber(find("apple",a2)),1,0)+if(isnumber(find("orange",a2)),1,0)+if(isnumber(find("strawberry",a2)),1,0)+if(isnumber(find("banana",a2)),1,0)
but if there's a chance for one word to appear multiple times you may need to resort to VBA

Upvote 0
Solution
if it is just those specific 4 words you're looking for you could use find something like:
=if(isnumber(find("apple",a2)),1,0)+if(isnumber(find("orange",a2)),1,0)+if(isnumber(find("strawberry",a2)),1,0)+if(isnumber(find("banana",a2)),1,0)
but if there's a chance for one word to appear multiple times you may need to resort to VBA
It worked! Thank you so so so so much! You got me out of such a bind.

Upvote 0
Your sample shows that you want to count fruits. You can use UDF.
VBA Code:
Option Compare Text

Function CountFruits(cell As Range) As Long

Dim ArryItems() As String

ArryItems = Split(cell.Value, ",")
CountFruits = 0

For n = 0 To UBound(ArryItems)
    Select Case Trim(ArryItems(n))
        Case "Orange", "Apple", "Banana", "Strawberry"
            CountFruits = CountFruits + 1
    End Select
Next

End Function

Upvote 0
actually if you wanted to count each word multiple times you can do that without VBA...
using =(len(a2)-len(substitute(a2,"apple"))/len("apple") will tell you how many times "apple" is in A2. repeat for the other words...

Upvote 0
actually if you wanted to count each word multiple times you can do that without VBA...
using =(len(a2)-len(substitute(a2,"apple"))/len("apple") will tell you how many times "apple" is in A2. repeat for the other words...
hello,
does this mean i can add + sign and then repeat the same formula with the other word i want, plus i wanted to know if im importing from a different tab same sheet would that be a problem ?

Upvote 0
Hi Sherif
if you mean this:
Excel Formula:
=(len(a2)-len(substitute(a2,"apple"))/len("apple") + (len(a2)-len(substitute(a2,"banana"))/len("banana")
then yes, but the result of that would be how many times apple and banana appear, collectively.
depends what you want to use it for as to if that will work.
if you have a number of words you want to look for you can put each word as a column header and replace the string with the cell ref. Then you'll get a matrix with a number for the count of each word.
If doing this, remember to use absolute row ref and relative column ref, then the formula can be copied through the area.

ie, if your words to count are in B1 through to Z1
Excel Formula:
=(len($a2)-len(substitute($a2,b$1))/len(b$1)
Copy this through b2 to z100 (how ever many row you have) and it will refer to Col A for your descriptions and the header row for each checked word.
I've used something similar with find. works nicely.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back