Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
ABCDE
Open DateExpiration DateDays to Expiration# DaysClose Date
10/10/2210/21/22=MAX(0,B2-TODAY())10/13/22
11/17/2212/16/22=MAX(0,B3-TODAY())

This chart represents contracts with expiration dates. I would like some help with a formula for column D. The 10/21/22 contract was closed before the expiration date, and the 12/16/22 contract is still open. It may be closed any time prior to or on the date of expiration. Column C is counting down the days to expiration until it reaches 0. What I would like to do is count up the days in column D that the contract is open from the open date until today as long as it remains open, and then stop counting once the cell in column E is filled in.

I hope that is clear, and thanks in advance for your help!

ok,
not sure how i can explain further .........
I dont think you have constructed badly - i fully understood the post below
I would like D to show the number of days a contract is or was open.

There are two conditions.
First Condition - E is empty. I want D to show a count of days since the date in A. It will keep counting up until E is filled.
Second Condition - E is filled. I want D to show the number of days between the dates in A and E. That number will not change once E is filled.

1) Setup the excel preferences to allow iterations , by ticking the box as shown by the screen shots - that will allow the following formula to work as required
2) In d2 enter =IF(E2="",today()-A2,D2) , now it will count the number of days from a2 to TODAY() and change every day - as soon as you enter a date into E2 - it will stop counting and just display the number of days upto the day you entered a date in E2
IF you dont setup the iterations - then you will be get a circular reference error - as D2 is trying to enter D2 itself.... the websites i posted also explained in full the reason

anyway - fine if you want to ask again.. no problem at all , when posting , hopefully i will remember and not just repost this reply again and confuse you further

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Thanks for everything, and for summarizing your instructions. I tried again and made the adjustment to use iterative calculation, and the shot below shows what I entered and what it returned. So it is taking care of one of the conditions, but the other condition returns 0 days.

Maybe we're halfway there. :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-03 at 3.46.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-03 at 3.46.43 PM.png
    136.9 KB · Views: 8
Upvote 0
I was able to find a formula to enter into the D cell that worked: =MIN(E2,TODAY())-A2

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-03 at 4.04.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-03 at 4.04.47 PM.png
    132.6 KB · Views: 6
Upvote 0
Solution
Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at: Counting Days Until Closing Date is Entered [SOLVED]
If you have posted the question at more places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0
Thanks Peter, will do. This is my only cross post on any topic.

Upvote 0
ok, sorry I did understand then , I thought we were only dealing with a condition in D...

sorry , glad you found the solution which worked -

you dont need to set up the iterations on that sheet any more
as
=MIN(E2,TODAY())-A2
even tough today()-a2 will continue to count forever , the min using E now it has an entry will override

Upvote 0
Etaf, I am really grateful for all the time and effort you put into this problem. Thanks agin.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back