Counting problem with autofilter on

Rattlerbytes

I've created a basic 'waiting list / register' database with the autofilter on. It's being used by a gymnastics club and one of the queries they are continually being asked by parents of children on the waiting list is this, "How far down the list is my child?"
The columns that are relevant to this query are;-

A) Class By Age (e.g. S0-S1, S2, S3 etc)
B) Original Date Added (e.g. 2-Sep-08, 14-Jun-07 etc)
E) Name (i.e. First Name)
F) Last Name

I have used the autofilter to specify the Class By Age but then have a problem when trying to determine where a specific child is on the waiting list, i.e. in relation to all the others in the same class, because the given dates determine that the earliest child to join the waiting list is the first child to be offered a place on the register. The 'Original Date Added' column does show when all the children joined the waiting list but I need to get a result that shows a specific child is the 'n'th person out of 120.
The gymnastics club can then gauge how long it should take before that child can join the register.
It's fairly simple to copy the filtered class list to another worksheet and then do a simple sort but I'm hoping there is a reasonably simple way to achieve the intended result on the existing spreadsheet.
It would be nice to have something that ultimately says something like;-

"SMITH MELANIE is 30/120 in S0-S1 Class"

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
Please ignore this thread as I may have answered my own question!

With autofilter on 'Class By Age' I then Sorted by 'Class By Age' and then by 'Original Date Added'. This then allowed me to drag the cursor down the list to a specific name and determine where that child ranked against all the others.

I suppose the only question I now have is;-
Once having done a sort with a column filtered can I simply revert the autofilter to ALL and then save the file without 'undoing' the sort first?

Upvote 0
Or maybe a slight mod...this in E2:

=C2&" "&D2&" is " &COUNTIF(A$1:A2,A2)&" out of "&COUNTIF($A$1:$A$15,A2)&" in class "&A2

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back