Rosy 1 egg
Rosy 2 Lettuce

I want to count number of items per person, ie
Max 3 items
Susan 1 items
Steve 4 items
Rosy 2 items

How would I go about doing this?

Please and Thank-you, you have helped so many and myself thrice.
Steve

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.

I was thinking CountIf but was unsure how to proceed;
example column A could contain any 10 character name (to make it easy, and always say 10 characters representing the people)
Column A is repeated for as many lines as needed per person, so if 5 purchases for say ralphnader the A1:A5 would contain RalphNader, so I just want to know at the end of a excel sheet anywhere from 5 lines to 30000 lines how many different items each person bought.
You could also do this for chores in a family, column A would be for each named family member from 1 to 30000 family members, and each person is assigned different jobs from 1 to 25 different jobs each, so at the end I could just look at a chart saying person 1 has 5 jobs, person 2 has 1 job, person 6 has 15 jobs, just as an example.

I cant quite wrap my head around countif that way.

Upvote 0
Are you trying to count in the same sheet as you are recordign data?

If you have your data list:

Max 2 apples
Max 2 Oranges
Max 3 Beans
Susan 4 Bananas
Steve 1 Orange
Steve 2 Peas
Steve 9 Steaks
Steve 3 Bread
Rosy 1 egg
Rosy 2 Lettuce

And you have a dashboard:

Name #Items Bought
Max 7
Susan 4
Steve 15
Rosy 2

Question 1: Do you have a known list of people, or do you need to generate that list?
2. You are wanting a 'count' of how many different items they have bought, not a count of how many purchases, correct? (EG, numbers above, not Max - 3, Susan, 1)
3. Is the number of items and the type of item separated into columns?

It sounds like you may want to have a sumif, unless i'm missing something?

if you are doing this in a formula, and assuming the data list exists on sheet called "Data", and display is on sheet called "Dashboard", assuming headers are a1-b1, a2 is name and # items are b2, description b3.

Rich (BB code):
Dashboard (worksheet)
Rich (BB code):
Name         #Items  purchased
Max            =sumif(Data!A:A,$A2,Data!B:B)

You could also do this with a macro, and find your range dynamically. There may be a way to do that with formulas, but I'm still learning myself.

Fluff may correct me, but otherwise HTH,

Jon

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wow, interesting approach.

Dashboard Sheet1
Data is on Sheet2

Column A is the names, can and will be different each time I would use this, so a list reference is out.
Column C has then number of purchased items (not important for what I need)
Column D has the different item purchased

So in the dashboard I would want for each individual name in column A, I would get a number for the items purchase.
ie:
SamSpade Items bought:3
RalphTime Items bought 5
MiaMita Items bought 1

But names could be different the next time I use the formula, also could be the item name different.
So I just need to know the number of different items each bought, not how many of each.

Also is there a way to do it so I do not have to type each name from column A in the dashboard, because there could be 5 to 10000 rows.(Arbitrary number)
So when done I could click say the SamSpade entry, and I would then see only the SamSpade Items, in the data sheet.

I hope I am explaining this right, even I confuse myself sometimes with excel, for what I want.

Thanx for the help.

Upvote 0
OK, so Fluff was correct in the countif, but I think the variable names will give you some issues. Can you do this in a macro? If not, I will do some research. you will essentially need to create an array of names adn then spit those out, then search against that list. Not a big deal, but I'm not sure how to get it in a formula, especially with that many entries.

I'm assuming names will be unique?

Upvote 0
OK, so Fluff was correct in the countif, but I think the variable names will give you some issues. Can you do this in a macro? If not, I will do some research. you will essentially need to create an array of names adn then spit those out, then search against that list. Not a big deal, but I'm not sure how to get it in a formula, especially with that many entries.

I'm assuming names will be unique?

Yes names are unique.

Thank-you

I will read more on countif

Upvote 0
Are quantities mixed with descriptions?

A1 B1 C1
Name Qty Description
Max 2 Apples

A1 B1
Max 2 Apples

This is where I ended up. Sorry I couldn't help more tonight, but got swamped.

This formula (for me) is giving me a bum first row (0), and it requires to be copied on every line.

I don't know that I asked, do we ahve to do formula or can you do a macro?

=INDEX(A:A,MATCH(0,COUNTIF($H$4:H4,A:A),0))

Upvote 0
Post if you have problems. Like I said, i remember that giving me a blank row then working, but my excel has been a little questionable lately, so just let me know if it is working or not and we can take another look.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelError

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back