Counting up how many streams are flowing into it

LostinExcel80

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
  3. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have inherited a set a data that is laid out as followed and I am wanting to count the cells to the right and down until they hit another cell in the same column a lot will be 0 as they will have no streams into them. While long term maybe to redo that data into a better layout this is what I have and need to work with for now. Each stream in data 1-7 will always only have one line filled, but a unique name...

DATA 1DATA 2DATA 3DATA 4DATA 5DATA 6DATA 7number of streams under stream. (I need this row formula for dynamic as streams are added and removed)
---->alot more data not needed for this example but is relevant to the specific stream
Final stream A2
Second to final stream A1
Third to final stream A0
Final Stream B5
Second to Final stream B A0
Second to Final stream B B0
Second to Final stream B C0
Second to Final stream B D1

Third to final stream B D A

For this example, if there is a value in cell A1, count all cells to the right and down that contain data UNTIL it hits a value in A again.
I am pulling hair trying to figure this out.

The logic is this as follows but I can't figure that out in excel

DATA 7 should always count as 0
DATA 6 should count all DATA 7 directly under it until DATA 6 or DATA 5 or DATA 4 or DATA 3 or DATA 2 or DATA 1 is not blank,
DATA 5 should count all DATA 6 and DATA 7 directly under it until DATA 5 or DATA 4 or DATA 3 or DATA 2 or DATA 1 is not blank,
DATA 4 should count all DATA 5, DATA 6 and DATA 7 directly under it until DATA 4 or DATA 3 or DATA 2 or DATA 1 is not blank,
DATA 3 should count all DATA 4, DATA 5, DATA 6 and DATA 7 directly under it until DATA 3 or DATA 2 or DATA 1 is not blank,
DATA 2 should count all DATA 3, DATA 4, DATA 5, DATA 6 and DATA 7 directly under it until DATA 2 or DATA 1 is not blank,
DATA 1 should count all DATA 2, DATA 3, DATA 4, DATA 5, DATA 6 and DATA 7 directly under it until DATA 1 is not blank

Please help thank you...

Are we confused here? :unsure:

I asked earlier if a vba solution would be acceptable and you basically said no. Since then we have spent a deal of time developing a formula approach & the last one does not require any particularly recent Excel version. Are you saying that it is now not acceptable or doesn't work or did you think it still required Excel 365 with the latest dynamic array functions like FILTER & SEQUENCE?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Sorry I thought the last formula required newer 365 that was my misunderstanding...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back