counting values from two different columns for epidemiology thesis

maccer123

Hello guys, I can't figure out how to count multiple values from two different columns and I really don't use excel too often but my thesis is forcing me to, so it is a must to figure this out.

All I want to know is the occurrences of diseases to a particular year. I have an excel file that has a messy record of diseases from our local hospital and it's my job to organize it by year (as my adviser wants me to) and the point of this is that so I can make some sort of graph for the defense of my thesis. Like for example, how many people got diagnosed with DENGUE in the year 2004 and the value DENGUE and the value 2004 are in separate columns. Does anyone know how to make a formula for this? I really am only familiar with the basics; I don't know how to make functions D:

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
yes but how do you do it? if for example my column I is full of a variety of values (malaria, meningoencephalitis, dengue, etc.) and my column K is full of dates (Jan 1, 2004 - May 12, 2014), how'd you make a formula that would could DENGUE values in 2004? many thanks

Upvote 0
Also another thing to look into might be a pivot table. This could potentially organize your data quite nicely especially once you implement slicers/fliters

Upvote 0
I'm not that much of an advanced user in excel I'm sorry :< could you be kind to tell how do you do the pivot table or formulas, please? i'd be very grateful!

Upvote 0
yes but how do you do it? if for example my column I is full of a variety of values (malaria, meningoencephalitis, dengue, etc.) and my column K is full of dates (Jan 1, 2004 - May 12, 2014), how'd you make a formula that would could DENGUE values in 2004? many thanks

The link I provided explains it quite well.

countif($K$1:$K$10,"="&2004, $I$1:$I$10, "="&Dengue)

Upvote 0
I'm not that much of an advanced user in excel I'm sorry :< could you be kind to tell how do you do the pivot table or formulas, please? i'd be very grateful!

A pivot table would just sumerize the data nicely.
1. If you add a column to your data with the header count.
2. Fill the count column value of 1 all the way down your data series.
3. Select all of your data
4. go to the instert tab
5. Click pivot table then Ok
6. Drag your date and Disease Field Lists to the Row Label Section
7. Drag your count Field list to Values section.

You can also create charts off this table

Upvote 0
okay I did it but it shows 0 when I do =COUNTIFS(I1:I85162,"=DENGUE",K1:K85162,"=2004")
is there something wrong with this?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back