Counting within intervals- is there a simpler way?

Ladyexcel

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, everybody,

I really really need help.

Imagine a doctor's office. Some of the patients have just arrived and are being processed by the receptionist (phase 1) and this takes some time (interval 1), some of them are waiting (phase 2 and interval 2) and some of them are already with the doctor (phase 3 and interval 3).

What I need is a way to be able to figure out how many patients were in which »phase/ interval« at a specific hour of the previous day, but I also have to be able to filter between different categories of patients. There are around 100 patients in one day. I also need to put it in a chart, that will look something like this:

1632295484202.png

(blue line phase 1, orange line phase 2 and grey line- phase 3)

My data:
  • Patient 1; Age; Hight; Weight; Priority; time arriving; start of waiting time; time when doctor received patient 1; time patient 1 left doctor's office.
  • Patient 2…

So, the interval 1 is the interval between “time arriving” and “start of waiting time”

The interval 2 is the interval between “start of waiting time” and “time when doctor received a patient” and

The interval 3 is the interval between “time when doctor received a patient” and “time patient left doctor's office”.

So the question is, how many patients were being processed, how many were waiting and how many were seeing a doctor at Sep 19, 2021 9:42:53 pm?
Can I do it with a pivot table?

Thank you so much for your help

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Counting within intervals- is there a simpler way?
Simpler than which way?

Let's suppose that your data are as in the attached image, columns A to I

Then in L2 set a Time, for example 9:00
In M2 insert the formula
Code:
=COUNTIFS(F$2:F$100,"<="&$L2,G$2:G$100,">"&$L2)
Copy M2 in N2:O2

In this way you will have how many patients ware in Acceptance, Wait or Visit phase at the set time

In L3 insert the formula
Code:
=L2+5/1440
Copy L3 downward
Copy M2:O2 downward

In this way you will create a timescale with a granularity of 5 minutes and get the number of patients in each state at that time

You can create a graph based on this table

If rather than setting "Time" you set "Date & Time" you can query datas also by date

If you need in the timescale a granularity o 1 minute, than for the formula in L3 use +1/1440 rather than +5/1440; you need 600 rows to span a 10 hours interval
If you need a granularity of 1 second, then you'll use +1/86440 and you will need 36000 rows to cover a 10 hours interval

HTH

Bye

Attachments

• Lady_MrEx_01.JPG
    Lady_MrEx_01.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back