couple of nodes that determine a cyclical chain

SerenaCruz

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
First of all, congratulations for this great Help Forum that has gotten me out of a lot of trouble on more than one occasion and your tutorials and ideas provided are great.

I have a problem with some crossed data with which I can not get away with it, I do not know if it is very complicated to solve, but I think the most logical or simple thing would be to create a function that we can call "cyclical" and that returns YES or NO depending on the new pair introduced and the order of appearance of this new pair of nodes in the chain of nodes previously introduced, in the attached document you will see it clearer and better explained.
As you can see the problem I have been able to solve it for a quantity of 40 nodes and obtain YES or NO "manually" depending on the new couple introduced.
The problem is that I need to work with a number of nodes greater than 20,000 and perhaps with a function like the one described above "cyclical" could solve it more efficiently than performing a manual search pair by pair, which would be done forever (humanly impossible ).
Do you think it would be possible to implement this function for Excel?
Thank you very much for your time and help.
A cordial greeting to the Forum.

Attached Excel xlsx document image in case someone dares with this challenge, which in appearance seems easy, but requires from the chosen initial pair to go through the previous columns always up from the initial pair, but allow to go down without going beyond this initial pair to link with another couple not previously visited and move indistinctly from left to right or right to left in search of a new chain that links to the previous one until determining if the chain is open or becomes cyclical when it comes to the first element to the left of the pair of initial or reference nodes of our search.
Excel Formula:

Attachments

• cyclic_chain.jpg
    cyclic_chain.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 10

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back