Create a Drop Down List to Populate a Cell

jwasten

Board Regular
I have a worksheet containing 2 sheets. Sheet 2 pulls data from an ODBC database and is refreshed when the user desires. Many cells in Sheet 1 are populated based on the data in Sheet 2 using, for example, =Sheet2!$A$2.

A specific cell (D5) in Sheet 1 should be populated but the result could be from any one cell between Cells L3 through L12 on Sheet 2. Is there a way to create a drop down list in Cell D5 in Sheet 1 which will display the data in Cells L3 through L12 on Sheet 2 so a selection can be made?

Thanks!

Janet

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Sure, use Data Validation on D5 in Sheet1. Select "List" from the dropdown, and in the box below, put (Or select) the Sheet2!L3:L12 reference. That should allow you to choose from any of those values.

Upvote 0
When I tried this, I get the message "You may not use references to other worksheets or workbooks for Data Validation criteria."

What am I doing wrong?

Janet
This message was edited by jwasten on 2002-08-29 12:46

Upvote 0
Try naming your range L3:L12 something like myRange, then use =myRange in the Validation source box (nb use Insert-Name-Define or the Name Box at the top left to name your cells).

Upvote 0
THANK YOU!!! This forum and you who answer our questions are just the best.

And now one more question - by having the drop down list, does that mean I can't type something in that cell that is not in the list?

Thanks again!

Janet

Upvote 0
On 2002-08-29 12:56, jwasten wrote:

And now one more question - by having the drop down list, does that mean I can't type something in that cell that is not in the list?

Thanks again!

Janet

By default, yes.

You can override this if you wish by clicking on the 'Error Alert' tab of the Data Validation form, changing the 'Style' from 'Stop' to 'Information' then (to suppress the warning pop-up) unchecking the 'Show error alert...' box.

Upvote 0
On 2002-08-29 12:56, jwasten wrote:
THANK YOU!!! This forum and you who answer our questions are just the best.

Thanks again!

Janet

Short answer is yes!....But....one can copy and paste in the validated cell. To keep one from typing, you'd have to use validation in a different way.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b1step2far

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back