Create a Hyperlink with Filters

JNallen

Hello -
I have 2 sheets and would like to have a hyperlink that takes the user to Sheet2 and applies the filter. I have added =HYPERLINK("#Sheet2!D1","Click here") which does take me to Sheet2 but can not get it to apply a filter to only show relevant data.

Sheet1 :
Business Use CaseEnable Source TableEnable Source ColumnEDM TableEDM ColumnRpts
customer_bill_to_masterNATIONAL_ACCOUNT__NAMEF_MERGED_CUST_INVCNATL_ACCT_NAMEClick here
enable_base.customer_bill_to_masterNATIONAL_ACCOUNT_NUMBERD_ITEM_MSTNATL_ACCT_CDE
CUSTOMER_SHIP_TO_MASTERshipto_address_line_1D_CUST_SHIP_TOADDR_LNE_1
CUSTOMER_SHIP_TO_MASTERshipto_address_line_2D_CUST_SHIP_TOADDR_LNE_2

Sheet2:
customer_bill_to_masterNATIONAL_ACCOUNT__NAMEF_MERGED_CUST_INVCNATL_ACCT_NAMEClick here
enable_base.customer_bill_to_masterNATIONAL_ACCOUNT_NUMBERD_ITEM_MSTNATL_ACCT_CDE

When clicking the hyperlink I would like to see only the filtered data by table name. Right now when clicking I go to Sheet2 and see all the rows. Does anyone have a quick way to add this to the hyperlink syntax? I am going through some other posts I see in the forum and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
This can be done with the Worksheet_FollowHyperlink event handler, but this event is triggered only by hyperlinks created via Insert -> Link, not by hyperlinks created with the HYPERLINK function.

Insert the hyperlink on Sheet1 and paste this code into the Sheet1 module:
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_FollowHyperlink(ByVal Target As Hyperlink)
    Dim ws As Worksheet
    If Target.SubAddress <> "" Then
        Set ws = Evaluate(Target.SubAddress).Worksheet
        Filter_Sheet ws
    End If
End Sub

Worksheet_FollowHyperlink extracts the worksheet object from the clicked hyperlink and calls the Filter_Sheet procedure with it. Paste this code into a new standard module:
VBA Code:
Public Sub Filter_Sheet(ws As Worksheet)

ws.Range("A1").CurrentRegion.AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:="=CC", Operator:=xlAnd

End Sub
I don't understand how you want to filter Sheet2, so my Filter_Sheet simply filters column A with the text value "CC". If you explain in more detail exactly how Sheet2 should be filtered I can modify the code.

Upvote 0
Thanks John. Sorry for the confusion, I was pasting things way to fast and didn't even paste correctly. Below is Sheet1 & Sheet2 again. We would like to click the hyperlink on sheet1 and have it take the user to Sheet2 filtered by Table Name (Sheet1 - EDM Table). There are thousands of Sheet 1 and the corresponding rpts and the filtering would just same some manual steps.

Sheet1 :

Sheet2:
report_namedb_tableobject_namefield_name
Consolidated Delivery Detail – FedEx OfficeF_MERGED_CUST_INVCCustomer Header PONATL_ACCT_NAME
Order History Detail CSF_MERGED_CUST_INVCCustomer Header POCUST_HDR_PO_NBR
Purchase History DetailD_ITEM_MSTCustomer Header POCUST_HDR_PO_NBR
Purchase History Detail (Internal Use)D_CUST_SHIP_TOCustomer Header POADDR_LNE_1
Purchase History by Manufacturer - CSD_CUST_SHIP_TOCustomer Invoice NumberADDR_LNE_2

Thanks for the help! I am certainly not a VBA guru so any guidance is Awesome!

Upvote 0
It's still not clear exactly how you want Sheet2 to be filtered, so this code is a guess.

Do you want filter column B (db_table) on Sheet2 by all the values in column D (EDM Table) (D2:D<last row>) on Sheet1? In your example the values to filter are F_MERGED_CUST_INVC, D_ITEM_MST and D_CUST_SHIP_TO.

Code in Sheet1 module:
VBA Code:

Dim ws As Worksheet
    Dim EDMtables As Range

With Me
            Set EDMtables = .Range("D2", .Cells(.Rows.Count, "D").End(xlUp))
        End With
        Set ws = Evaluate(Target.SubAddress).Worksheet
        Filter_Sheet ws, Application.Transpose(EDMtables.Value)
    End If

End Sub
Code in a standard module:
VBA Code:
Public Sub Filter_Sheet(ws As Worksheet, db_tables As Variant)

ws.Range("A1").CurrentRegion.AutoFilter Field:=2, Criteria1:=db_tables, Operator:=xlFilterValues

End Sub
If I'm wrong, please describe precisely how Sheet2 should be filtered.

Upvote 0
Yes, you are correct we wanted to filter on the EDM Table matching db_table on sheet2. The scenario is that when we use the hyperlink its to only show the rows of data that use that table in reports. So in row 1 for instance (F_MERGED_CUST_INVC), if I click the hyperlink I would like it to show me all the reports in Sheet2 that match that table in db_table. In the example above I would expect to see the 2 rows at the top after filtered. Instead of all values it would be only the values that match the table name. Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
My understanding now is that you want to filter only by the single EDM Table value that's in the same row as the hyperlink.

Sheet1 code module:
VBA Code:

'Filter the hyperlink's target sheet by the value in column D in the same row as the hyperlink

Dim targetWs As Worksheet

Set targetWs = Evaluate(Target.SubAddress).Worksheet
        Filter_Sheet targetWs, Me.Cells(Target.Range.Row, "D").Value
    End If

End Sub

Standard module:
VBA Code:
Public Sub Filter_Sheet(ws As Worksheet, db_table As String)

ws.Range("A1").CurrentRegion.AutoFilter Field:=2, Criteria1:=db_table, Operator:=xlAnd

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back