Create a uniform drop down list

ipon70

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,
I am looking to try and make all of the text line up better so that the drop downs looks more uniform.
Here is an example of what my issue is. All the lines by the first straight line start at different spots and makes it hard to read in a drop down.
The below data is from a concatenated list that will change at any moment in time.

BAILEY, ANGEL A | PHY-F | PAH | TLOD NO | HY YES | QRE YES
THOMISON, MATTHEW S | SPHY-M | PAH | TOLD YES | HY NO | QRE YES
MALKOW-DUNHAM, TAMMIE A | SPHY-F | PAH | TOLD NO | HY NO | QRE NO
JACOBSON II, MICHAEL G | PHY-M | PAH | TOLD YES | HY YES | QRE YES
CAVANAUGH, BRITTANY C | LPHY-F | PAL | TOLD NO | HY NO | QRE YES

What I would like it to look like, more like a straight line for the start and maybe the others also. Doesn't need this much space but you get the idea.
BAILEY, ANGEL A| PHY-F| PAH| TLOD NO| HY YES| QRE YES
THOMISON, MATTHEW SS| SPHY-M| PAH| TOLD YE| HY NO| QRE YES
MALKOW-DUNHAM, TAMMIE A| SPHY-F| PAH| TOLD NO| HY NO| QRE NO
JACOBSON II, MICHAEL G| PHY-M| PAH| TOLD YES| HY YES| QRE YES
CAVANAUGH, BRITTANY C| LPHY-F| PAL| TOLD NO| HY NO| QRE YES

Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Ohhhh sorry no, I don't want it split I just want it lined up but all in one column, like controlling the layout....so like if one name is 10 characters long and the next one is 14, then none of the lines in either case would start until 30...so the name with 10 characters would have 20 space after it to equal 30 and the 15 character name would have 16, to add up to 30. I am trying to make the drop down have a uniform look where all the lines start very close to the same location so your eyes can read it easier.

Upvote 0
What version of Excel are you using?

I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

If you are talking about a Data Validation list then it's probably not possible as you would need to change the font & I'm not sure that's possible anymore.

Upvote 0
What version of Excel are you using?

I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

If you are talking about a Data Validation list then it's probably not possible as you would need to change the font & I'm not sure that's possible anymore.
I will do that right now. No its not the data validation, its a list that is being brought together into one column from 6 columns, but after the first column is concatenated, I want to start the next section at a set distance out...so that the first line shows lined up with the next line below it and so on.

Upvote 0
In that case what is your raw data like & what formula are you currently using?

Upvote 0
In that case what is your raw data like & what formula are you currently using?
The raw data starts as a csv file on the import page. It is then brought over to the page I am working on with a simple =If(MS!A1="","",MS!A1) type formula.
Then a concatenated like this. =IF(B2="","",CONCATENATE(Z2," | ",Q2," | ",R2," | ","TLOD ",S2," | ","HY ",T2," | ",IF(U2="","QRE NO","QRE "&U2)," | "))
So what I am trying to do is right after the "Z2" create exactly the same amount of space regardless of name length which I have determined is 30 spaces. So on the 31 space should be the " | ", and everything after.

Upvote 0
Ok, how about
Excel Formula:
=IF(B2="","",CONCATENATE(Z2&REPT(" ",30-LEN(Z2))," | ",Q2," | ",R2," | ","TLOD ",S2," | ","HY ",T2," | ",IF(U2="","QRE NO","QRE "&U2)," | "))
and change the font to a mono-spaced font like courier.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back