Create a vba code to insert row based on two-column condition

Ganeshan

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Hi Everyone,
I am new to this forum and have been trying to learn some VBA coding to automate some data. My question is -

I would like to insert a row when there is a value change in two-column cells in an excel
For example, columns F and G where F has a string value of "Buy" and "Sell" and column G has string "D" and "S".

My code should add a row when the column is sorted the last value is
"Buy" - "D"
"Buy" - "S"
"Sell" - "D"
"Sell" - "S"

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-15 at 2.33.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-15 at 2.33.08 PM.png
    201.2 KB · Views: 26

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Hi Ganeshan,

Welcome to MrExcel!!

Try this:

VBA Code:
Option Explicit
Sub Macro1()

Dim wsSrc As Worksheet
    Dim lngLastRow, lngRow As Long
    Dim strKey As String

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Set wsSrc = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1") '<- Sheet name containing the data. Change to suit if necessary.
    lngLastRow = wsSrc.Range("F:G").Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row

For lngRow = lngLastRow To 3 Step -1
        If Len(strKey) = 0 Then
            strKey = wsSrc.Range("F" & lngRow) & wsSrc.Range("G" & lngRow)
        End If
        If wsSrc.Range("F" & lngRow - 1) & wsSrc.Range("G" & lngRow - 1) <> strKey Then
            Rows(lngRow).Insert
            strKey = wsSrc.Range("F" & lngRow - 1) & wsSrc.Range("G" & lngRow - 1)
        End If
    Next lngRow

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Regards,

Robert

Upvote 0
Solution
Hi Ganeshan,

Welcome to MrExcel!!

Try this:

VBA Code:
Option Explicit
Sub Macro1()

Dim wsSrc As Worksheet
    Dim strKey As String

Set wsSrc = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1") '<- Sheet name containing the data. Change to suit if necessary.
    lngLastRow = wsSrc.Range("F:G").Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row

For lngRow = lngLastRow To 3 Step -1
        If Len(strKey) = 0 Then
        End If
            Rows(lngRow).Insert
        End If
    Next lngRow

End Sub

Regards,

Robert
Hi @robert,

The code works great and thanks.
I have a question, the loop runs even for the header and creates a row space between the header which is Row 2. How do I stop the loop and make it run only for the data and not the header Row?

Upvote 0
The code works great and thanks.

You're welcome (y)

I have a question, the loop runs even for the header and creates a row space between the header which is Row 2. How do I stop the loop and make it run only for the data and not the header Row?

Try this:

VBA Code:
Option Explicit
Sub Macro1()

Dim wsSrc As Worksheet
    Dim strKey As String

For lngRow = lngLastRow To 2 Step -1
        If lngRow > 2 Then
            If Len(strKey) = 0 Then
            End If
                Rows(lngRow).Insert
            End If
        End If
    Next lngRow

End Sub

Regards,

Robert

Upvote 0
You're welcome (y)

Try this:

VBA Code:
Option Explicit
Sub Macro1()

Dim wsSrc As Worksheet
    Dim strKey As String

For lngRow = lngLastRow To 2 Step -1
        If lngRow > 2 Then
            If Len(strKey) = 0 Then
            End If
                Rows(lngRow).Insert
            End If
        End If
    Next lngRow

End Sub

Regards,

Robert

I have, I think, a similar question, but I'm struggling to adapt the code for my context. This code will go in a much longer macro which will execute a number of formatting operations on each sheet in the workbook.

(Note: the non-ideal starting conditions are the result of exporting from an application, which cannot be avoided.)

Column A has a list of time ranges on two lines indicating the start and end time for each row. I can make Column G a 'control' column:
VBA Code:
        Dim timeFill() As Variant
        timeFill = VBA.Array("8:00", "8:20", "9:10", "10:00", "10:20", "11:10", "12:05", "12:30", "13:00", "13:50", "14:40", "15:00", "15:50")
        timeFill = Application.WorksheetFunction.Transpose(timeFill)
        Range("G3:G15").NumberFormat = "@"
        Range("G3:G15").Value = timeFill

Starting in A4 (because all the tables will start at the same time), it compares the first line in A4 to G4. If the values are the same, then it moves on. If the values are not the same*, then it inserts a new row from A4:F4, shifting the other cells down (so that the control column doesn't change). This repeats through row 15. Then it deletes column G.

* The exception is at the bottom of the table: if Ax is blank but Gx is not blank, then a row should be inserted from Ax:Fx. When Ax is blank AND Gx is also blank, it has reached the bottom of the table.

I can't figure out how to (a) compare only part of the value of A and (b) insert the row within the limits so that the cells shift down and G is not modified. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0
Hi tjdickinson,

It's probably best to start a new thread with a link back to this one if you think it help someone provide a solution for you.

It sounds like you need to create a range variable so as the code goes along it adds the row(s) to it if applicable and if after all the rows have been checked and the variable is not empty (nothing) insert the rows from it then. You also say that Col. G is a helper column but it starts at Row 3 where the data starts at Row 4 and if the data in Col. A is actually a time Excel may have trouble comparing Col. A to Col. G as the later is text.

Regards,

Robert

Upvote 0
Hi tjdickinson,

It's probably best to start a new thread with a link back to this one if you think it help someone provide a solution for you.

It sounds like you need to create a range variable so as the code goes along it adds the row(s) to it if applicable and if after all the rows have been checked and the variable is not empty (nothing) insert the rows from it then. You also say that Col. G is a helper column but it starts at Row 3 where the data starts at Row 4 and if the data in Col. A is actually a time Excel may have trouble comparing Col. A to Col. G as the later is text.

Regards,

Robert
Hi, Robert, thanks for your reply!

I managed to figure out something that works, even if it isn't quite optimal or the most efficient:
VBA Code:
        If ActiveSheet.Name <> "Toezicht" Then
            Dim timeFill() As Variant
            timeFill = VBA.Array("8:00", "8:20", "9:10", "10:00", "10:20", "11:10", "12:05", "12:30", "13:00", "13:50", "14:40", "15:00", "15:50")
            timeFill = Application.WorksheetFunction.Transpose(timeFill)
            Range("G3:G15").NumberFormat = "@"
            Range("G3:G15").Value = timeFill

For i = 4 To 15
                StopPosition = InStr(1, Cells(i, 1), Chr(10)) - 1
                TimeG = Cells(i, 7)

If Len(Cells(i, 1)) > 0 Then
                    TimeA = Left(Cells(i, 1), StopPosition)
                    Else:  TimeA = ""
                End If

If TimeA <> TimeG Then
                    Cells(i, 1).Resize(1, 6).Insert shift:=xlDown
                End If
            Next i
            Columns("G:G").Delete shift:=xlLeft
        End If
(The IF at the start of the code is because I need the code to run on three different kinds of timetables, one of which has a different layout, so this prevents the code from running on that timetable.)

Because the times in colA were not typed into Excel, they aren't registered in a time format, so the comparison works fine.

I think the problem with optimisation is that it is populating cells which will eventually be deleted, and then it has to go row by row, 12 times, checking each row. On the one hand, it kind of has to do that because, well, that's what needs to happen, but I just wonder if there's a faster way.

An idea that's just popped into my head (but I don't really know how to execute it, if it's even possible) is something like making an array of the values in colA, comparing that to the timeFill array, and using those results to insert the extra rows. Maybe something like comparing the indices, if they don't match, insert "" into the colA array, and then using the index value of "" elements in the colA array to insert the rows in one fell swoop.

What do you think?

Upvote 0
Try this where rows are only shifted down at the end of the process (if there are any) and no helper column is used:

VBA Code:
Option Explicit
Sub Macro1()

Dim TimeArray As Variant
    Dim i As Long
    Dim TimeCheck As String
    Dim rng As Range

TimeArray = Array("8:00", "8:20", "9:10", "10:00", "10:20", "11:10", "12:05", "12:30", "13:00", "13:50", "14:40", "15:00", "15:50")

For i = 4 To 15
        If Len(Cells(i, "A")) > 0 And InStr(Cells(i, "A"), Chr(10)) > 0 Then
            TimeCheck = Split(Cells(i, "A"), Chr(10))(0)
            If IsNumeric(Application.Match(TimeCheck, TimeArray, 0)) = False Then
                If rng Is Nothing Then
                    Set rng = Cells(i, "A")
                Else
                    Set rng = Union(rng, Cells(i, "A"))
                End If
            End If
        End If
    Next i

If Not rng Is Nothing Then
        rng.EntireRow.Delete Shift:=xlDown
    End If

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raviguru

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back