Create Data Model for a finance position

Tarek78

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi Everyone,

I am seriously considering spending a lot of time building a data model in order to benefit from Power Pivot and DAX.

I work as a finance business partner and my role is to analyse data (monthly most of the time) through multiple scenarios (P&L by country, by account, by project, by channel, Actual figures vs Last Year vs budget).

I am struggling to build a data model that will help me automate and fullfill my role. I have various files :

- one extract from an ERP (such as Hyperion Smartview) that gives me the actuals for the current and previous with all the fields required (account, project name in each account, the department it belongs to etc.)
- one extract from the same ERP that will give me the actual cost/revenue per GL account
- one Excel file we I have all the budget

Can someone help me building a nice data model. What steps do I need to think of to build my model? How do I define the dimensions I need to use a table? People say that the STAR schema is the best with one fact table at the center. But what if I have multiple fact tables in the center (one for actuals, one for previous years, one for budget) would that still work?

Thanks for your help as I am a bit stuck

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Here is some reading for you, articles I written over the years.

Upvote 0
WoW impressive. I will read all your articles with attention and revert back to you. Which one I should read first you reckon?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harryls

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back