Create dropdown list with either listbox or combo box where dropdown list length is dynamic

question610

In Sheet 1, the user would would be choosing the options in the dropdown. I'm not sure whether to use a data validation drop down or a combo box to achieve my goals and how to do it.

The items in the dropdown list is located on Sheet 2. The length of the dropdown list will change as new items will be added and some items may be deleted. I need a drop down where the list accurately shows the items in the list, if a new item is added, then it will show up on the dropdown. I tried data validation but it only shows the top 8 items so I can't do that. I think a combo box is the best way to go but I can't get the number of dropdown lines and input range to be dynamic based on Sheet 2.

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
You can accomplish this using a combination of data validation and a worksheet_change() event in sheet2. What cell in Sheet1 holds your dropdown and what column in sheet2 holds the values?

Upvote 0
You can accomplish this using a combination of data validation and a worksheet_change() event in sheet2. What cell in Sheet1 holds your dropdown and what column in sheet2 holds the values?

Could you elaborate what you mean by worksheet_change()?

Cell B3 holds the dropdown in Sheet 1 where data validation occurs and in Sheet 2, Column A holds the values.

Thanks

Upvote 0
A Worksheet_Change() event is a macro that will automatically run when a specific worksheet undergoes a change. We can constrict this macro to only run code when a specific range within that worksheet changes. In this case, we're going to use it to monitor Column A in Sheet2 for changes.

To use this, right click on the Sheet 2 tab and choose "View Code". This will open the VBA Editor. Copy/paste the below code into the window that pops up. Note the red-highlighted parts in the code. Adjust these to match your actual sheet names.

Code:
Private Sub worksheet_change(ByVal target As Range)
Dim LR As Long
If Not Intersect(target, Range("A:A")) Is Nothing Then
    LR = Sheets("[COLOR="#FF0000"][B]Sheet2[/B][/COLOR]").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
    With Sheets("[B][COLOR="#FF0000"]Sheet1[/COLOR][/B]").Range("B3").Validation
        .Delete
        .Add Type:=xlValidateList, AlertStyle:=xlValidAlertStop, Operator:= _
            xlBetween, Formula1:="=[B][COLOR="#FF0000"]Sheet2[/COLOR][/B]!$A$1:$A$" & LR
        .IgnoreBlank = True
        .InCellDropdown = True
        .InputTitle = ""
        .ErrorTitle = ""
        .InputMessage = ""
        .ErrorMessage = ""
        .ShowInput = True
        .ShowError = True
    End With
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelknuckles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back