Create Dropdown Lists From External Workbook

honkin

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi
I know it is possible to create dropdown lists in 1 sheet with data from another sheet, but what I want to try and do is to have calculations performed and results shown based on what is selected in those columns.
Here is an example, X3: X122908 of the original workbook is a column of profit and loss for a year; that column can also be used as a count of how many selections there were for the year, 122906 when unfiltered, due to the top 2 rows being used by headers.

What I'd like to do is to add data from some of the columns in this workbook to another sheet so that when something is selected in the new location, the profit and count cells both change to reflect it. This works natively in the current workbook when I filter for certain criteria, but would dearly love to be able to link the dropdown lists to the original data.

So if an option is selected in a dropdown list, it would act as if that column had been filtered in the original document. Does that make sense at all?

There would be 10 dropdown lists, each representing a column from the original worksheet and 2 cells where the results would appear; 1 cell to display profit and the other the count.

I don't think it is such an issue to create the dropdown lists, but how to have the results change in the Profit and Count cells? Basically it is exactly what you see when you are filtering in Excel and you select a column; you get Average, Count & Sum. I want the results for Count & Sum to work just as it does in the status bar when filtering.

Is this possible at all and if so, how would it be done?

Thanks for any help you might be able to give

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Ok so I have now done all of the columns I need as named ranges but for the life of me I cannot see how to bring them into the new workbook. Under Data Validation I selected Lists and input ='[2018 Results.xlsx]2018'!Runners as the formula and the message said This type of reference cannot be used in a data Validation formula, so am lost as to how one brings in an external list as a dropdown list

Any suggestions? Oh, it is Excel for Mac 2016 if it makes a difference

cheers

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LinusJE

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back