Create new window and navigate in that window to a particular cell

sriche01

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all,

I am trying to execute some code, part of which should be opening a new window and navigating to a particular location.

I was trying:

VBA Code:
            ActiveWindow.NewWindow.Activate
            Application.Goto Reference:=ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Profile Path").Range("D3"), Scroll:=False

all it does is open a new window, then goes back to window 1 and navigates. The problem is window 1 contains all the view settings like freeze panes. The window I am trying to create is to a sheet that gives a snapshot - kind of a popup if you will - that the user can then close that window after viewing the snapshot and they would be where they originated. For some reason, the Goto method always wants to work in window 1. Can anyone help me?
Thank you!

Typically our users have two monitors and two windows for the same workbook open at once, each containing a separate worksheet, working through data lists. The worksheet I want to navigate to in a new window (either 2nd or 3rd depending on what is already open) is a summary sheet giving more detail on an individual item in the worksheet Sales Plan. I was hoping I could have it open like a pop up window for quick reference, then close once the user understands what they are looking at. This way, they can leave their original working sheets open where they left them in the background.

I was originally thinking of using a hyperlink type method and am reexamining that, but excel is funny with hyperlinks. If you are in any window but 1, hyperlinks will open in window 1 (a separate window). If you are in window 1 and click a hyperlink it will navigate away from where you are still in window 1. Bottom line, it is tricky for users to set up their flow and get back to where they started.

Really, this is crazy how complicated this has all become. It seems like it should be a simple matter to tell excel to
1. open a new window in the workbook and
2. navigate to the worksheet and cell of my choosing in that new window

I don't know if I am just missing something or if this truly is a bizarre request of mine.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
It probably is simple for someone who works with two monitors consistently, but I don't and am not sure how navigation to different sheets on separate monitors, or even the pop-up screen you mentioned, would work. What I have provided so far is about as far as I can go without doing a lot of research and experimenting, so I will just drop out and maybe someone else with more experience in that area will pick up on the thread and help out. If nobody jumps in within a day or so, just start a new thread beginning where we left off on this one.
regarfds, JLG

Upvote 0
It probably is simple for someone who works with two monitors consistently, but I don't and am not sure how navigation to different sheets on separate monitors, or even the pop-up screen you mentioned, would work. What I have provided so far is about as far as I can go without doing a lot of research and experimenting, so I will just drop out and maybe someone else with more experience in that area will pick up on the thread and help out. If nobody jumps in within a day or so, just start a new thread beginning where we left off on this one.
regarfds, JLG
Thank you so much for trying. Sorry for sounding impatient. ? merry Christmas.

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for trying. Sorry for sounding impatient. ? merry Christmas.

Does this work ?

VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)

Dim itm As Range
    Dim rng As Range

If Selection.Count = 1 Then
        If Not Intersect(Target, Range("Sales_Plan_Item")) Is Nothing Then
            'somewhere in here I'd like a command to create a new window in which to run the
            'code below
            Set itm = Application.Selection
            ThisWorkbook.NewWindow.Activate
            Set rng = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Profile Path").Range("D3")
            rng.Value = itm.Value
            Application.Goto rng, True
        End If
    End If

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AKSMITH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back