Create Way to Check Totals?

osscie3

Board Regular
Hey guys, couldn't find anything on my specific issue but I may have not been searching correctly.

I've created a pricing workbook with the following tabs-

Tab 1 is for Input. Tab 2 is the Prices Tab that essentially is customer facing.

On the Input tab for some items, I have check boxes for certain services. When checked, that service will be unhid on the Prices Tab and the price will also be in that line item. If unchecked, the service will be hidden and the price will be set to zero. Items and their prices are grouped by things like Monthly, One Time, etc and then it just does a sum of the group regardless if the items are hidden or not. So total Monthly costs, etc.

So I had a bump in the road the other day where I had checked a service in the Monthly section. The row for whatever reason did not unhide however it did input the correct price. So while the total Monthly cost was technically correct, there was one item that remained hidden that should've been unhid. See example below-

Monthly Item Service #1 $2,000
Monthly Item Service #3 $1,000
Total Monthly Service Costs $4,000

Monthly item service #2 of $1,000 should have appeared but didn't although it's price was included in the Total.

I'm trying to figure out a way to implement a way to double check each group so I avoid this error. My thought process was to maybe create a formula or macro that totaled only the un-hidden items for each group and compare that total to what the Prices Tab is showing for each group total. So in the example above, the logic would be to total Monthly Service Item #1 and #3 with a total of $3,000. Then compare that to the Total Monthly Service costs of $4,000. Where this would obviously show there's an anomaly somewhere.

I'm open to ideas though. Thoughts?

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Why are the rows hidden ?
- The formula differs dependent on if this is the result of filtering or manual hiding

1. Range to sum A1:A5
- sum ALL rows in range with
=SUM(A1:A5)

2. Rows are filtered
- sum visible rows with ...
=SUBTOTAL(9,A1:A5)

3. Rows are hidden manually
- sum visible rows with ...
=SUBTOTAL(109,A1:A5)

4. sum of hidden rows in range
either
=SUM(A1:A5)-SUBTOTAL(9,A1:A5)
or
=SUM(A1:A5)-SUBTOTAL(109,A1:A5)
(as is appropriate)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonilla0331

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back