Created a column for Month (integer) in a named range, trying to display it as a named Month (ex. "March"), excel keeps reading this integer as a day.

xriphenburg

Right now I am working with a data table, to which I added a 'Month' column, as an integer (1 for January, 2 for February, etc.). While pulling this data into Pivot Tables using the Month column, I wanted to display the months as actual names Months - 'January, February', etc. When I edit the Number Format within the Pivot Table, Excel recognized my integers as days. So when I convert the Format into 'mmmm' everything is showing as 'January'.

So essentially, when I have Month 4 in my column, I want it to display as April in my Pivot Table. But Excel recognized this integer as d, so in d-mmm format it would show as 4-Jan. So all of my months are displaying as 'January' when I want them to show the full month name.

Not having fun. what do?

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
I don't know of a way to do that but I know of a work-around...

Create a lookup table on another sheet somewhere where you have the number and its corresponding month.
On your main data page, insert a column anywhere called Month and do a Vlookup
=VLOOKUP(A2,TABLE,2,FALSE)
Where your month number is in A2, and you named your lookup table as "Table"
This would put the month onto your main page, and you could include the month name on your pivot instead of your month number.

Upvote 0
@xriphenburg, another option would be to create a helper column next to your Month column with this formula:

=DATE(YEAR(NOW()),month-column-cell-reference,1)

Then use the helper column instead of the Month column in your pivot table, formatted as "mmmm."

You can hide the helper column if you don't want to see it, or you can format the helper column as Special > mmmm to see the month name in that column.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back