Creating a changing data validation list

FORDFAN

Hi.
I need some assistance. Let's say that I have 10 available words in an excel table. In another table, I would type in one of the 10 words. How do I do the formula so the original table shows only the remaining 9 words?
Example.
TEST1
TEST2
TEST3
etc down to TEST10.

I go into another cell and type in TEST1. It would then not show as available so when I click on the next row down, it only gives me the 9 remaining words to choose from. Can a 'Data Validation list' have a list in it that changes as words are added or deleted as you go along?

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Are you looking to delete a value from the list or to create a dynamic data validation list or both? It would be easier to help if you could use the XL2BB add-in (icon in the menu) to attach a screenshot (not a picture) of your sheet. Alternately, you could upload a copy of your file to a free site such as www.box.com or www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark it for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to the file that you can post here. Explain in detail what you want to do referring to specific cells, rows, columns and sheets using a few examples from your data (de-sensitized if necessary).

Upvote 0
Hi. Unfortunately I can't give the actual data but it is simply this:
Lets say I have cells A1:A10 with 10 different words.
In another cell, say C1, I have to pick a word from the list. I know how to this with data validation. This gives me all 10 words to choose from.
In cell C2, I have to use the pull down menu to pick another word and the data validation only shows me the 9 available as it recognises that the 10th word is not available.
In cell C3, only 8 words available and so on.
Once cell C1's word is cleared, it then becomes available in the pull down list.

Hope this helps. Sorry to be awkward.

Upvote 0
C1 contains the whole list. Each time you select a word in C2, C3, C4, etc., you want that word deleted from the list in A1:A10. Is this correct? If it is correct, then please explain in detail what you mean by:
Once cell C1's word is cleared, it then becomes available in the pull down list.
If the word is deleted from column A, how can it be available in the drop down list???

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oksanana

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back