Creating a connection to DB without loading all the data?

HelpPlease123

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi guys,

As the title suggests... is that possible?

When I create a connection only to the DB, when I insert a pivot off the back of that connection it loads every row of data:

rows loaded.png

Is there any way to only 'load' the data that meet the filter criteria you apply to your table and to 'send the rest back'? kind of like the way you would if you were running queries in say an SQL, if the data doesn't meet the selection criteria it isn't loaded, but it's available for selection if you amend the criteria...

Any tips to make this more efficient would be appreciated.

n.b. all rows needed as this is a refreshable dashboard that can be filtered by stakeholders.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
I was thinking of Power Query throughout your message until I read your last row. I am not aware of any way to "unload" data as you describe, perhaps Power BI would be more suitable?

Upvote 0
I was thinking of Power Query throughout your message until I read your last row. I am not aware of any way to "unload" data as you describe, perhaps Power BI would be more suitable?
Great thanks - what would your power query method do for me? Any tips to make the workbook run/update faster would be really useful still if you know of any...

Upvote 0
Great thanks - what would your power query method do for me? Any tips to make the workbook run/update faster would be really useful still if you know of any...
Well I thought you could transform your data as much as possible in Power Query with for example "Group by", this lets me reduce the amount of rows greatly depending on the type of data. So I try to reduce the amount of rows and remove unnecessary data in Power Query, then I load it into a pivot table so that the data doesn't have to be presented in a sheet/table. After I've done that I pretty much just set the pivot table up as I want it in a standard view then add slicers so each user can select their own area and delve further into their data.

It doesn't solve your problem but I think it's a good start. That way I've reduced files from XXX Mb to XX Mb which makes it so much faster to work with.

An alternative would be to load all your data into the Data Model and use Power Pivot or different CUBE-functions if you want to manipulate the area between values etc. See this tutorial for CUBE: Excel CUBE Functions can do everything a PivotTable does and more!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back