Creating a dropdown list of worksheet names directly

gyz

Hello all, I know that a list of worksheet names can be used to create a dropdown list, but is there a method without using VBA (because my manager is a clown) that would allow the dropdown list to refer to the actual sheet names and not refer to a list of sheetnames? The reason I don't want to create a list is because there are a lot of them (in different workbooks too) and they change frequently - I would spend more time keeping the list updated than on anything else.

The setup would be:

A1 - a dropdown list that the user selects an item (this refers to one of several workbooks) - I can do this bit easily.
A2 - a dropdown list that contains the names of all the worksheets in the workbook at A1. I can create a list of all the worksheet names, but I would realistically need this dropdown to refer to the actual spreadsheet names and not a list of them.
A3 - a vlookup that gets the value of a particular cell in worksheet at A2.

I hope that makes sense. I suspect the answer will be that it can't be done but if any genius can help it'd be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jocksteriom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back