Creating a flow chart

dno_ca

Hi there,

If after I have created all my drop down menus and INDIRECT cases enetered, is there a way I can have a specific cell come up after all the drop down menus have been chosen?

ie:

Cell 1: user can choose A, B, or C

Cell 2: if Cell 1 was A then D, E, or F
Cell 2: if Cell 1 was B then G, H, or I
Cell 2: if Cell 1 was C then J, K, or L

Cell 3: X, Y, and Z or XX (see below for example)

Ex:

A chosen for cell 1
D chosen for cell 2
X comes up in cell 3 automatically.

AND, is there a way to make it so that more than one cell can come up if a certain sequence is chosen from the first two cells such as:

A chosen for cell 1
E chosen for cell 2
X, Y, and Z come up in cell 3, 4, and 5 automaticaly.

The only problem is that I am not sure how excel handles the information. Would it be easier if I just make a new entry XX where XX=X+Y+Z? The reason I want to do this is because there will be times when Y will have to be shown in cell 3 as well (ie: when X is not shown). Am I being clear?

I have done this before at my last job but am not sure about the last part.

Thanks in advance,
Dean
This message was edited by dno_ca on 2002-10-09 17:16

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Hi Dean,

I'm a bit confused by your question. Are you using data validation list dropdowns in cells 1 and 2 and linking them together via code that sets the list in cell 2 depending on the value chosen in cell 1? What do you mean when you use the term "come up" referring to a cell. Also, I am confused about Y shown in cell 3 when X is not shown. Why would X not be shown? What would then happen to cell 4?

From the nature of your question I would guess that what you want is not hard to do. But as it is I am too uncertain what the problem is to be of much help.

Damon

Upvote 0
I'm sorry for not being more clear and thanks for asking. I am not familiar with the way excel operates so I am not even sure if this can be done.

I am using Data Validation, with Allow set to List. In my example I would have made one Named Group for cell 1 (NG1 = A, B, and C), and three Named Groups for Cell 2 (NG2 = D, E, F, NG3 = G, H, I, NG4 = J, K, L).

For Cell 1 the Source would be set to =NG1. For Cell 2 the source would be set to =INDIRECT(Cell 1 #). This would let cell one direct what is shown in cell two. I would like the data from Cell 2 to direct what is shown in Cell 3.

I know that I can use this same method to make Cell 2 direct Cell 3 BUT what I would really like to do is see if excel can automatically display more than one cell if it is called for.

I am not sure how this can work. To explain further about the X, Y, and Z, there are a few scenerios that I think could happen:

1) Excel can not create the seperate cells that I would like it to, so I would be stuck making a seperate cell with each necessary data copy and pasted into every data in Cell 2 (which I would not want to do because there could be alot of entries for Cell 2).

2) Excel can do this but I would have to set up each Cell individually and that would be just as troublesome (and probably more so) than adding all the necessary data into one cell. I would have to set up lots of cells (Cell 4, Cell 5, Cell 6, et cetera) each with their own data entry that would either be displayed or not.

3) I am hoping that there is a function that will let excel display more than one cell driven by another cell BUT have it displayed in a column or row. That way it would be more organized and easier to enter data. Then only Cell 3 would always automatically display an answer but if needed it would display as many more entries in the following cells.

Hope I cleared some of this up and am looking forward to your response! BTW, I will be using this for a trouble shooting tree if that makes it any more clear to you. I know I should be using a database program but I can not.

Thanks again,
Dean
This message was edited by dno_ca on 2002-10-10 13:04

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scottdog129

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back