bearcub

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2013
  3. 2010
  4. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
I have am using he following formula to put a value based upon a company name. Sometimes I get an error message because the criteria doesn't match the name on the destination worksheet.

The issue might be a period is in 1 name but not the other (Corp. instead of Corp) or corporation might be spelled for one customer name but not the other. I am trying to extract text from a different report not a value.

This is my formula. Should I replace that formula with one of the newer array formulas or is there another workaround:

"INDEX(DelphixDataExtractSalesOrdersP!C:C, MATCH("*" & 'Waterfall & Recon'!A8 &"*", DelphixDataExtractSalesOrdersP!U:U,0))"

For this example , A81 is "Common Securitization Solutions" but the name in the destination report is "Common Securitization Solution". So I get an error. I can't bring in the text I need to populate the report.

The text I am need to bring to be brought into this cell is "23Q!-053".

I changed the 0 in the March function to 1 (is this the relative match argument) but it pulled the wrong skew # and a different company name.

The yellow coded items is where the formula is located. If I find a match with the customers the result would be 23Q1-053. Yellow is my notation that that cell is hard - coded and not formula driven.

1653674855118.png

Thank you fo your help in advance.,

Michael

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Have you considered the Fuzzy Lookup Add-in for Excel that Microsoft offers?
I've set up a small source table (Table 2) with some data. Then in Table 1, I have some items listed in Column1 that vary somewhat in spelling, punctuation, etc. These need to be in official Table form (select cell in range to convert and hit Ctrl-t). Then the Fuzzy Lookup add-in requires that you specify which columns to fuzzy match and which to exact match, and which columns to return. In this case, I indicated that Col 1 of Table 1 and Col 2 of Table 2 should be fuzzy matched...and Col1 Table 1 & Col 1 Table 2 should be output. Just be sure to click in an empty region of a worksheet before executing "Go" as the Output table is automatically spilled. You can also dial in different "similarity thresholds". You may be able to use the output table directly, or if necessary, use it as an intermediate translation or mapping table, where you could now use a conventional INDEX/MATCH (or XMATCH) or XLOOKUP construction to return the desired value from the intermediate table. This way the fuzzy matching, which is more sophisticated than a wildcard match, handles the initial step and you can inspect the intermediate table (perhaps you'd want to return both fuzzy match columns in that table for a direct side-by-side comparison) before relying on it.
MrExcel_20220529_v2.xlsx
ABCDEF
70Table2
71Column1Column2
72347-abcCommon Securities Inc.
7323QI-053Common Securitization Solutions
74123-xyzCommon Market Securities
759999Acme Corp
77Table1Output
78Column1Column2Column1Column1Similarity
79Common Securitization Solution23QI-053Common Securitization Solution23QI-0530.9408
80Acme Corp.9999Acme Corp.99990.9333
81Common Securities347-abcCommon Securities347-abc0.8800
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B79:B89B79=XLOOKUP([@Column1],$D$79:$D$89,$E$79:$E$89)

1653880699764.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you for the information. How do I load the add in (where is the file located normally have the download)?

Upvote 0
You can download the file at the link in my post. There are installation instructions at that same link. They describe running Setup.exe, which is the name of the downloaded file. That Setup routine will install the Add-In. You will need to restart Excel for the add-in to be recognized, then you should have a "Fuzzy Lookup" option on the top menu bar where File, Home, Insert, Draw, etc. appear in Excel. Clicking on that menu item opens up a submenu where Fuzzy Lookup appears again. Click it and the window shown in my last post appears where you can specify the column matching details.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrauni

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back