ChrisC
DaveD
EthelA
FrankB
GaryA
HenryF

<tbody>
</tbody>

which will then list all students that have a particular grade. So referencing the above, the final result would look like:

Students with A's
Albert
Ethel
Gary

<tbody>
</tbody>

Using

=INDEX(A:A,MATCH("A",B:B,0))

I can get the first value of A to populate, the additional cells return the same value (IE, they all return Albert). I had thought to use COUNTIF

=INDEX(A:A,MATCH("A",COUNTIF($C$2:C2,B:B),0))

where $C$2:C2 Is the actual column which contains the formula. 2nd cell would be $C$2:C3 and so on. Using this formula it simply returns a 0.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Let A1:B9 house the data you posted, headers included.

Let C1 house A (a grade of interest).

In C2 enter:

=COUNTIFS($B$2:$B$9,C$1)

In C4 control+shift+enterm not just enter, and copy down:

=IF(ROWS(C$4:C4)>C$2,"",INDEX($A$2:$A$9,SMALL(IF($B$2:$B$9=C$1,ROW($A$2:$A$9)-ROW($A$2)+1),ROWS(C$4:C4))))

Upvote 0
I found that the reason it was returning 0 is because I didn't have a value in the cell it was referencing and couldn't return it. The final formula I used which works perfectly is:

{=INDEX('Master Names'!F:G,SMALL(IF('Master Names'!G:G="A",ROW('Master Names'!G:G)),ROW(9:9)),1)}

If there is a more efficient or better way to do this let me know please.

Upvote 0
I found that the reason it was returning 0 is because I didn't have a value in the cell it was referencing and couldn't return it. The final formula I used which works perfectly is:

{=INDEX('Master Names'!F:G,SMALL(IF('Master Names'!G:G="A",ROW('Master Names'!G:G)),ROW(9:9)),1)}

If there is a more efficient or better way to do this let me know please.

Perfectly? See post #2.

Upvote 0
One other addendum. I want to add a column for absences, let's say it's D. I want to query D2:D9 and if there is an X in the column indicating that the individual had an absence, skip the final result regardless of the A grade so that the name isn't listed. How would I work that into Aladin's or my formula?

Upvote 0
How can a student achieve an A grade if they are absent? Surely the grade column will be empty?

Upvote 0
One other addendum. I want to add a column for absences, let's say it's D. I want to query D2:D9 and if there is an X in the column indicating that the individual had an absence, skip the final result regardless of the A grade so that the name isn't listed. How would I work that into Aladin's or my formula?

So, if D = x, do not include that sudent in the result list, right?

Upvote 0
So, if D = x, do not include that sudent in the result list, right?

Row\Col
A​
B​
C​
D​
E​
F​
G​
1​
Name GradeAbsenceA
2​
Albert AX
3​
Brian Bname
4​
Chris CXEthel
5​
Dave DGary
6​
Ethel A
7​
Frank B
8​
Gary A
9​
Henry FX

In G2 just enter:

=COUNTIFS($B$2:$B$9,G$1,$D$2:$D$9,"<>X")

In G4 control+shift+enter, not just enter, and copy down:

=IF(ROWS(G$4:G4)>G$2,"",INDEX($A$2:$A$9,SMALL(IF($B$2:$B$9=G$1,IF(1-($D$2:$D$9="X"),ROW($A$2:$A$9)-ROW($A$2)+1)),ROWS(G$4:G4))))

Upvote 0
Row\Col
A​
B​
C​
D​
E​
F​
G​
1​
Name GradeAbsenceA
2​
Albert AX
3​
Brian Bname
4​
Chris CXEthel
5​
Dave DGary
6​
Ethel A
7​
Frank B
8​
Gary A
9​
Henry FX

<tbody>
</tbody>

In G2 just enter:

=COUNTIFS($B$2:$B$9,G$1,$D$2:$D$9,"<>X")

In G4 control+shift+enter, not just enter, and copy down:

=IF(ROWS(G$4:G4)>G$2,"",INDEX($A$2:$A$9,SMALL(IF($B$2:$B$9=G$1,IF(1-($D$2:$D$9="X"),ROW($A$2:$A$9)-ROW($A$2)+1)),ROWS(G$4:G4))))

That's fantastic and after some thinking I understand it. So from here, if I want to do multiple columns which are not next to each other (ie..instead of D2:D9 I want to do D:D, F:F, H:H, etc...) i'm using this for the COUNTIFS:

=COUNTIFS('Master Names'!$G:$G,Sunday!$Q16,'Master Names'!$J:$J,"<>X",'Master Names'!$P:$P,"<>X",'Master Names'!$V:$V,"<>X",'Master Names'!$AB:$AB,"<>X",'Master Names'!$AH:$AH,"<>X")

And this for the "G4" cell:

=IFERROR(INDEX('Master Names'!$F:$F,SMALL(IF('Master Names'!$G:$G=$Q$16,IF(1-('Master Names'!$J:$J="X"),ROW('Master Names'!$F:$F)-MIN(ROW('Master Names'!$F:$F))+1)),ROWS(K$13:K13))),"")

I believe I had to add the MIN function as I was using F:F instead of a specific cell. How can I reference the same columns listed in the COUNTIFS in the IF(1-('Master Names'!$J:$J="X"). The INDEX above works perfectly in weeding out anyone with an X in J:J and it creates a consecutive list. I don't believe I can use OR / AND in an array so not sure but would it be possible to clean up the COUNTIFS using an internal array of some type for the different columns referencing X and then use the same type of array for the INDEX statement?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andreguerra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back