Creating a list of hyperlinks from table data

BlissC

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
In my current project I'm trying to a get a list of hyperlinks on an Excel sheet from a list of URLs and "friendly names" in a table on another sheet. For context, the workbook is a leave request and log system that each employee has their own copy of. On the workbook's 'Welcome' page I'm trying to get a list of links to leave policies and procedures on the company intranet. As documents have a tendency to get moved around, updated or deleted, I don't fancy having to update each of the 200+ users' workbooks every time a link breaks! I already have a central Excel workbook that holds data for data validation/drop-down lists, etc. that the workbook grabs data from, which is imported into a sheet in the workbook using "Queries & Connections">Refresh All (using Excel 2019/365).

I've added two columns to the data table - "PolicyLinks" which holds the URLs to articles on the intranet/policy documents, and "PolicyLinkName" which holds the "friendly name" for each link. The attached image shows the setup of my data table and how I'm envisaging the list of links looking on the 'Welcome' page. There may be fewer links than shown, or there may be more - it depends on how many articles the HR dept has on the intranet. I need to be able to simply add the details of new links to my data table, or remove out-of-date ones, which will update the users' workbooks automatically when they refresh their data when instructed. I know how to use the HYPERLINK function, but when it comes to how to get them onto the 'Welcome' page without hard-coding them on the 'Welcome' page, my mind's gone blank. I suspect it's something very simple, but I can't get my head round it. Any assistance gratefully received.

Thanks,

Bliss

hyperlink_list.jpg

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
If you are OK with VBA then something like this would work. You will need to change to fit your data

VBA Code:
Sub hyplink()

Dim lr As Long
Dim nr As Long
lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "W").End(xlUp).Row
nr = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row + 1

For x = 2 To lr

With Worksheets(1)
 .Hyperlinks.Add Anchor:=.Range("A" & nr), _
 Address:=Range("W" & x), _
 TextToDisplay:=Range("X" & x).Text
End With

Next x

End Sub

Upvote 0
Thank you Scott for your reply. I'm very much new to VBA (my level of VBA knowledge is "copy, paste and change the odd bit") and after some head scratching and looking back at my original post I realised that 'W' and 'X' are the columns where the data is, but I'm not sure what 'A' refers to.

I'm also not sure where I should put this (ThisWorkbook, the bit for the sheet I want the to links on (sorry, I don't know what the list of sheets in the project window are called), or as a module), and how I refer to the VBA on the worksheet where I want the links to display.

Sorry for all the questions.

Upvote 0
'A' is referring to where the hyperlinks will be placed. You will need to change to code to refer to the sheet and range that match your data. The code posted just uses one sheet. see the explanations in green. You will need to adjust the cells and what sheet the cells are one to fit your data. where this goes depends on how you want to run the code. If you want to manually run the code for example a button on the sheet then it can go into a module if you want it to be triggered by an event then it would need to go into the sheet or ThisWorkbook object depending on what action triggers the code.

Sub hyplink()

Dim lr As Long
Dim nr As Long
lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "W").End(xlUp).Row
'This creates 2 variables lr and nr. lr is the last row in your list of hyperlinks and nr keeps track of the next row of where you want to put the hyperlink for example if you have a hyperlink in row 2 then nr=3.

For x = 2 To lr
'this starts a loop so the code look at all rows in your list of hyperlinks starting from row 2 to the last row.

With Worksheets(1)
.Hyperlinks.Add Anchor:=.Range("A" & nr), _
Address:=Range("W" & x), _
TextToDisplay:=Range("X" & x).Text
End With
'this is what creates the hyperlink in the cell with the "friendly" name

'since the next row has changed this gets the new next row

Next x
'since we are finished with that row this goes back to the start of the loop where x is incremented by 1 the code within the loop is run again if it has not reached the end.

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VanGirl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back