Creating a Numerical Integration Function

nova

I'm a VERY basic user of Excel. I have a mathematics and programming background, but no knowledge or experience in VBA programming.

I'm wishing to create a new function as a VBA custom function procedure to numerically intergate an expression (such as 3*X^3 + 2*X^2), defined by a worksheet formula (not by data points). The five parameters required by the function would be in the form of cell references which point to (1) the expression to be integrated (such as the above example), (2) the integrating variable (in this example, X), (3) the lower limit of X, (4) the upper limit of X, and (5) a tolerance value for termination.

I've been trying to implement the Trapezoidal Method - but not a flicker of light so far!!.

I understand the Formula property of a cell may be used to get the expression to be integrated into the VBA code as text. Then the Substitute function may be used to replace the variable of interest by a value, and the Evaluate method may be used to get the new value of the expression. I have no experience in implementing these steps.

I've made extensive attempts to do the above, but without success so far. ("I started off with nothing, and still have most of it left"!).

I'm hoping someone may be able to assist me, or else point me to a relevant area of the forum (or elsewhere), by demonstrating the methods and techniques needed to achieve the function I'm seeking. Perhaps it has all been done before, but I haven't located it.

I'd be most grateful for any help.

Hi lalbatros,

Thank you for the sample file and the library link. I do have a lot to learn!!

However, you have provided much enlightenment for me, much insight, and much encouragement.

Thanks again for your preparedness to help me. Perhaps there are others on this forum who also have been helped by your good advice.

Kind regards,

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ak94

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back