Creating a Period Table

NathanG

I would like to create a Service Turnaround Time measure that shows the MTD, QTD, and YTD % change that can be calculated on a custom calender.

Making the calculations work according to the custom calender are the challenge since to my understanding time intelligence functions to not work with a custom calender. I have read Chapter 18 of Rob's book and it mentioned that you need a periods table but I do not understand how to go about setting up the foundation. I have also read his three posts on his website referring to creating your own time intelligence functions.

I currently have a production calender that is in the same format as a regular DimDates table except the dates of course are production dates. For example, on a regular calender the last week of December 2012 was 53, but on the production calender it is week 1.

Do I need both a production dates table and a period table? How do you fundamentally go about setting up custom calenders to create your own time intelligence functions?

Thank you for your help.

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Basically the only difference between a standard date table and a custom date table is how the dates are categorized or grouped together. So, either way you need a column of contiguous dates. The differences will be in other columns of the Calendar.

For example, in a standard Calendar, Quarter 1 would include Jan, Feb, and Mar. As such you would have a field in your date table labeled Quarter and the value for every date in all 3 of those months would be Q1. However, if you were on a 4-4-5 Period setup, instead of standard quarters, then you would have a Period column and Jan, Feb, Mar, and Apr would all be labeled P1 in that field.

Upvote 0
To elaborate more, I'm not sure if what you need is actually a custom calendar or if you are just shifting the timeframes on a standard calendar.

The reason to use a custom calendar is because the start and end dates of a period don't necessarily coicide with the actual start and end of a given month and periods can overlap more than one year. Do your periods coicide with actual months or are they based on weeks like 28 days or 35 days or something else?

Do you have more detail about your periods?

Upvote 0
Nathan, I'm just writing an article about creating Time Intelligence functions (such as YTD, YOY, ...) with custom calendar (such as 4-4-5). I should complete and publish it within the upcoming week. I'll update this thread as soon as it is available.

Upvote 0
Thank you both for your help. I have made some progress since the post.

Marco, this is great! I will spend some time looking this over. This is exactly what I need to understand.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spamiki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back