Creating a score for consensus and divergent responses in a table

serendipiteez

Hi there,

I am looking for a way to rank responses to a survey based on the degree of alignment. I am having trouble coming up with a formula for this. I want to rank the table from most consensus (agreement) to least agreement (divergence) based on a computed score.

Basically, my sheet has four categories (category 1, category 2, category 3, category 4) and 10 questions. Let's assume that 100 people answer the survey.

CATEGORY 1CATEGORY 2CATEGORY 3CATEGORY 4
Question 1100000
Question 2752500
Question 3505000
Question 95030200
Question 1025252525

You can see that most people have put their responses in Category 1, so there are all in agreement (alignment), so this should get a score of 100. In Question 10, people were quite divergent in their opinions, and it's equally distributed across different categories, so this should get a score of 0.

How do I achieve this through a formula?

My objective to understand where people agree and where they don't. I have tried std.dev and other formulas for dispersion, but have not had any luck.

Thanks very much.

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Hi there. You don't seem to have given enough information about the 'in-betweens' to be able to offer a solution. For example, q2 has 2 categories answered with different quantities - what would you expect there? 0.75, 0.5, 0.6667? I'm thinking maybe something along the lines of averaging the totals and a calculation based on the number of different categories answered?

Upvote 0
Apologies for that. I imagine that Question 2 might be 0.75 or 0.67. Question 3 would likely be a score of 0.5 (or 50) depending on the scale we choose to use. So it can be either out of 1 or out of 100.

I am open to different approaches.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juggernaut24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back