Creating a search-field in EXCEL

nifiction

I have created a little custom dictionary with spelling rules for my company (just to define how to spell e.g. "webbased"/ "web-based"/ "web based").

Since I want to users to be able to find the spelling rules quickly in the sheet, I want to integrate a search function into one of the cells. I do not want the standard search function or an VBA, but rather a cell in which you would, in the example, type web*** and then you are taken to the correct entry(ies) in the worksheet.

I am using EXCEL 2003 with OS Windows XP.

Thanks
niLs

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Brian,

Thanks for the hint. Problem is: I have no clue whatsoever as to what to do. Perhaps you have a hint for excel-dummies as well? I assume the code (if that is code anyway) refers to a macro that would create that search function?

Cheers
niLs

Upvote 0
If you wish to go beyond the normal Excel menu functions then you need to learn more. ;) It takes time and effort. It is a simple choice - either this effort is going to be worthwhile, or it is not.

Start simply by recording a macro of the Find process and adapt the code you get.

Upvote 0
Hey Brian... I guess you are totally right. Well... since my "dictionary" thus far only contains some 200 entries, I guess my employees will have to search alphabetically for the right spelling for now. Thought there might be a simpler way - but I trust your 6k postings that there isn't ;)

Cheers anyway and regards from the Netherlands
niLs

Upvote 0
nifiction, do you have all of your words in a row of a worksheet? If so, have you tried autofilter? It is a simple but fast search function and it will list anything in that row in alphabetical sequence......

Just my 2 cents ;)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back