Creating a web page using data from Excel.

Darren Bartrup

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I've been given the task of getting our reports from Excel onto a webpage - preferably so the end user doesn't have to have Excel to view the data.

I've picked up the idea used in the 'VBA & Macros for Excel' book by Bill Jelen & Tracy Syrstad.

Now, being a complete newbie to creating webpages it took me the best part of a day to get a some simple text and a table (the table was filled using data from the workbook) and a couple of links onto an html file - this is all good, as I just have to press a button on the workbook and the file is created.

But now things are going to get much more complicated: graphs and pictures, links, multiple worksheets, screentips, combo boxes all needed to be added. Basically, I need to recreate the workbook as a webpage and all at a press of a button (oh, and can I get it to wash the car to?)

Is HTML the best thing to do? Output all the code to notepad and save.
Or maybe one of the hundred of other variations on HTML that seem to be floating around out there?
Then, once I've decided on the best way to go about it... any good books on learning this stuff out there?

Is there a MrWebPage.com site out there?

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
I cringe when I say this, but maybe you could consider the Save As Web Page option. You get the choice of converting just the active sheet or the whole workbook, and you can choose to add interactivity. The result is typical MS bloat, however -- a 1600 kb test file became a 22,500 kb monster. Probably acceptable over an intranet...

Otherwise, the MrExcel method is nifty. This sort of stuff is definitely doable in HTML, but the file will get big. If you can get your hands on FrontPage before they stop selling it (as of Office 2007, it's no more) you can build your template page in there, using the graphical tools, then create the table where you want it and do the slice and dice in Notepad to populate the data. Definitely easier to manage links, graphics, etc in FrontPage than in Notepad. Come to think of it, you may be able to integrate the workbook with FrontPage to a limited extent.

If you want some HTML tutorials, do a Google on w3schools.

Denis

Upvote 0
Thanks for all those Denis.

Definately alot there to keep my mind occupied.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back