Creating a worksheet based on conditions

tbloch

Hello all, and thanks for looking.

I consider myself fairly proficient with excel, but then I tried to take on this task. ;) I am fairly new with this type of excel coding, but I have coded with several other programming langauges in the past and think I can handle it with a few pushes in the right direction.

I want to create a macro that when I hit a button, I create a worksheet, possibly from a template, and add it to the workbook. I would like to select different options using 3 drop down menus on the same page as the "create" button. Based on these conditions, I would like the macro to create a sheet and highlight/display values off of the template.

I think I could do this with a lot of "if menu1 = 1 and menu2 = 1 and menu3 = 1 then copy this template to the end of the workbook" statements. However, this seems like it would take a lot of if/then statements and lot of templates (one for each possibility). I would think it could be done simpler.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Hide all your template sheets and remember which one's which

Then use the dropdown boxes to give some kind of unique identifier in a hidden cell (you could use the form controls and link it to a cell return a number between 1 and however many items are in the dropdown). From this unique identifier you could use a Select Case statement which would identify the sheet to copy. Macro would execute in microseconds.

Would this kind of thing help?

Dave

Upvote 0
Hide all your template sheets and remember which one's which

Then use the dropdown boxes to give some kind of unique identifier in a hidden cell (you could use the form controls and link it to a cell return a number between 1 and however many items are in the dropdown). From this unique identifier you could use a Select Case statement which would identify the sheet to copy. Macro would execute in microseconds.

Would this kind of thing help?

Dave

First, thanks for your quick reply!

Hmmm... that could possibly help. I wanted to try to avoid the use of the hidden templates, but that prolly is the best way. Two of the choices have 5 conditions and 1 has 6, so that is what, like 150 possibilites?

If I follow you, you are suggesting that I make a cell the value of the first menu (say 1-5) and the another the value of the second (1-5) and a 3rd cell the value of the last menu (1-6). How would I combine these to make a unique value in a 4th cell that I could relate a case select to?

Thanks

Upvote 0
How different are the templates, if they are pretty standard and it's just the highlighting that's different then you could use the Select Case to provide the highlight which might be more efficient.

So lets say you have 5 template sheets, one of the Unique IDers would choose the sheet, the next UID would choose some highlighting etc.

Really you want to try giving out as much info as possible, I think creating a fully fresh sheet from scratch each time you run the macro will test the users patience so ideal you want it to be quick and seemless by getting as much basic stuff hidden out the way and save redoing it everytime.

Bear in mind that you could use a macro one single time to create your 150+ permutations.

EDIT:Actually rereading that you need to tell us what each of the combo boxes will do to the template, so you might need 3 select case statements.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, I just typed a really long explaination out, and lost it b/c it thought I wasn't logged in or something. I'll get back to you in a bit.

Thanks

Upvote 0
At the login there is a box that says 'Remember Me' check it or the site will kick you out after a defined period of time. If you are on a public computer or one you don't feel safe staying logged in then just type up your reply in Notepad or Word and paste it in to the reply box. ;)

Upvote 0
At the login there is a box that says 'Remember Me' check it or the site will kick you out after a defined period of time. If you are on a public computer or one you don't feel safe staying logged in then just type up your reply in Notepad or Word and paste it in to the reply box. ;)

Well, I would be the end user for this excel workbook. The way it is done know seems so tedious and could be a lot nicer I think.

Currently, the workbook has several templates set up and I select a lighting fixture category (1-6), a room cleaniness (1-5) and I copy this worksheet to the end. I than enter room dimensions into cells and predefined equations in cells calculate values needed to be used with the category and cleaniness type to find a value. This value is currently found by looking up on a table or grpah, but I know the equation, so I thought that it would be much easier (and accurate) to let excel do this for me. One of the equations is something like exp(A^(t*B)) where A and B are coeffiecients found by looking at a table and knowing the fixture category and room cleaniness level. Also, the fixtures light distrubution pattern (3rd box, choices 1-5) would be used with ratios found with the deminsons to find another value from a table.

What I wanted to have, was a "start" worksheet where, one would select category, cleaniness level, and distrubution type and enter the dimensions and press "create" and have a macro set up to calculate all the values and display them.

I suppose a template isn't really needed for each case, just maybe have the case select insert (based on the UID of the possiblities) "you are using x category with y distrubtion type, in a z room." It seemed a lot simplier when I was thinking about it then when I actually tried to start coding it.

The end result: Several of the values calculated/looked up (using the user choices and input) are then multiplied together and displayed. This is done to document calculations.

Hope this made at least a little sense and hopefully I didn't forget to add much the second time around typing it out, hehe.

Edit: quick fix on a couple typos.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are the overall calculation functions going to change depending on the selection or is it just the values to be calculated?

Sounds like a single template feeding from three tables (one for each combo selection) via VLOOKUP would do, then your macro would copy this as display it as values only.

Upvote 0
Are the overall calculation functions going to change depending on the selection or is it just the values to be calculated?

Sounds like a single template feeding from three tables (one for each combo selection) via VLOOKUP would do, then your macro would copy this as display it as values only.

Hmm... I'll look into that vlookup function. The calculation functions don't change, just certian coeffcients. Those are looked up from a table depending on the choice in the drop down menues.

Upvote 0
This example may help but as I am working blind......

Lets say you have a table to look up from
Excel Workbook
ABCDEF
1Table One12345
2a29541303212913002776
3b17502427242226321844
4c17042072137316092806
5d18601354262412512895
6e22642561285426361687
Table_One
Excel 2007

Then more like this for the values, from this you want to look down column A for a value then across row 1 for another value from this you can select a value from the desired table at the desired point, such as:
Excel Workbook
ABCD
1TableRowColumnValue
2Table_Oneb42632
Master
Excel 2007
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D2=INDEX(INDIRECT(A2), MATCH(B2, INDIRECT(A2&"!A:A")), MATCH(C2, INDIRECT(A2&"!1:1")))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back