Creating absolute reference to different sheet in INDEX MATCH

MoreGone

I might be approaching this completely wrong. Please feel free to scold.

In my workbook I have a sheet called Master Tracker for tracking all things including installation dates. Weekly we receive an updated file from another team called Weekly Updates that has install date changes. What I have done is Copy the Weekly Updates sheet to my Workbook and then use INDEX MATCH to search for new dates. All that works well.

=INDEX(‘Weekly Updates'!E$2:L$490,MATCH('Master Tracker'!A2,’Weekly Updates'!L$2:L$490,0),1)

What I would like to do is be able to delete or rename the Weekly Updates worksheet when I get updated information and move the new sheet to my workbook with the Master Tracker and have the existing INDEX MATCH formula continue to work. What I am finding is that when I delete the sheet, my INDEX MATCH formula changes to #REF looking for the sheet. I would like it to remain so that when I add the new sheet the formula still works.

If I try to rename the Sheet in advance, it updates the reference to ‘Weekly Updates (2)’ and when I add my new Weekly Updates sheet its too late and I have to update the formula again.
How do I make a static call to a sheet that might be deleted or renamed?

Trying to avoid
=INDEX(#REF!E$2:L$490,MATCH('Master Tracker'!A2,#REF!L$2:L$490,0),1)
or
=INDEX(‘Weekly Updates (2)'!E$2:L$490,MATCH('Master Tracker'!A2,’Weekly Updates (2)'!L$2:L$490,0),1)

Thanks

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Try:

=INDEX(INDIRECT("'Weekly Updates'!E$2:L$490"),MATCH('Master Tracker'!A2,INDIRECT("'Weekly Updates'!L$2:L$490"),0),1)

However, note that the ranges within the quotes within the INDIRECT do not change as you drag/copy the formula. If that's necessary, we need a bit more work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try:

=INDEX(INDIRECT("'Weekly Updates'!E$2:L$490"),MATCH('Master Tracker'!A2,INDIRECT("'Weekly Updates'!L$2:L$490"),0),1)

However, note that the ranges within the quotes within the INDIRECT do not change as you drag/copy the formula. If that's necessary, we need a bit more work.

The only thing I needed to change as I drag/copy the formula was the A2 cell to A3, A4 and so on, which is working perfectly. Thank you!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back